We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Sled /Musher camps

Grants Pass Oregon
6 posts
Save Topic
Dog Sled /Musher camps

We are going on a NCL cruise in early June, we are a bit worried that the weather will not be conducive to a lot of out of doors activities. Does anyone have info on dog sled/musher camps in Skagway or Ketchikan?

seattle
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Sled /Musher camps

We took the summer camp mushing excursion in Skagway last year. Really can't recommend it.I felt it was a poor value for the price.

A very short dog ride after a long bus ride and a long wait around the camp. Of course I had to pet the smelly dogs and have my clothes sent to the ship laundry, but that was the best part of the day. (I was in serious dog-withdrawal by the time I got to Skagway.)

Better to get into a helicopter, get on a glacier and enjoy the dogs too. I know it costs a lot, but not as much as regretting your only day spent in Skagway. Vacations are so short. A few months later the money won't be an issue, but the memories are treasures.

Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Sled /Musher camps

We did the helicopter/sled excursion out of Skagway and yes, it isn't the cheapest excursion but it is one we would absolutely do again. Great flight in... out onto the glacier... time with the dogs and puppies and the kids got to do some sledding. The two guys we were paired with just finished up the Iditarod. Great time, great memories and GREAT pictures.