We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car vs. small van tour

Which Skagway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffern, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car vs. small van tour

We will be in Skagway on 7/9/12 with another couple (docking there with Celebrity Millenium). I am interested in your opinion as to whether renting a car (or perhaps even the new jeep rental) is as good as taking a small guided tour with TN or Beyond Skagway type companies?

1. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 02:05
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

hi schoolnurseally

We are going to be on Millenium one week after you. Thinking of doing the same thing rental car from Avis although the Jeep rental sounds fun,too. I found this http://www.murraysguide.com/ a guide to Emerald Lake from Skagway . Helpful info time frame,where gas,food is located.

By the way I've been a school nurse for almost 20 years!

Went back to school and now am an FNP

Have fun on your cruise, i can't wait

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

We are going to be on a Princess cruise this week as well!

The Murray guide looks like a great tool,as we plan to rent a car in Skagway and drive to Emerald Lake.We have reserved a car from Avis.

and....I'm a school nurse as well (22 years)!

Edited: 25 March 2012, 10:45
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

I have been rethinking this decision over the weekend and I would like to hear from the locals in Skagway.

How much "breathtaking scenery" will we miss if we chose to do a rental car DIY vs a smaller local tour company with the option of the railway just one way/ van or bus tour to Emerald Lake.

Thanks

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,575 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

I am not a local. e-T-s, but here is my reply on another thread this evening:

tripadvisor.com.au/…39692120

Unfortunately the local DE cannot advise as he would have a conflict of interest.

Skagway, Alaska
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

I AM A 20+ YEAR SKAGWAY RESIDENT AND A TOUR OPERATOR HERE.

IMO: The train is a spectacular trip, and very scenic. It winds through the mountains from Skagway to the White Pass Summit, about 20 miles. It is true that while the train goes up the eastern half of the canyon, the highway goes up the west side. MOST of the time, the road is above the railroad, and looks down on it. The railroad costs about $120 per person. If you are a train buff, nothing beats the train.

By highway, the most popular trip is to Emerald Lake, Jewel of the Yukon. This is about 75 miles from Skagway, and you travel through 3 different climate zones in that distance. Frankly, I LOVE the Yukon. Once you pass the Summit, the countryside doesn't look anything like the inside passage. Plus, there's a good chance of seeing wildlife along the road.

By the way, you might go to photo galleries on many of the tour websites for Skagway and get an idea of what you'll see along the routes.

You wouldn't need a car to get around downtown Skagway, as it's basically one street about 7 blocks long, but many of the scenic areas are outside walking distance, such as the Skagway overlook, which gives a view of the town, valley and cruise ships.

Hope this helps!

JJ

Edited: 26 March 2012, 17:55
Skagway, Alaska
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

Oh... here's a quick P.S. If you're here on a busy day, there is a late train departure at 4-4:30 p.m. that you can take if you decide you want the train as well as a rental car. I think it's available Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I tried to call the railroad to confirm, but it's a holiday here: Seward's Day!

Regards,

JJ

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

jeepingjeanne,

Thank you for your reply.I will take your advice and look at photos along the route before making a final decision.

I also read that the Avis office has been relocated from the dock to another location due to a recent fire. Can you tell me if it is located far away from the cruise ship dock-relatively speaking, that is, seeing that Skagway is 7 blocks long as you indicated above!

Thank you.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 22:30
Skagway, Alaska
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

The farthest you would be from town on any dock is about 1/2 mile. I haven't seen where Avis has relocated, and their phone is still disconnected, as they only operate here seasonally.

There is a shuttle that runs from the docks to town for $2/person. By the time you arrive, I'm sure everyone in town will know where they've relocated!

Regards,

JJ

10. Re: Rental Car vs. small van tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:29