We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Important date - Recommendations Needed

Level Contributor
219 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Important date - Recommendations Needed

Sunday, June 24th is our 40th Anniversary. We arrive in Skagway on the ferry on Friday and leave on Monday. The train to the Yukon is planned for Saturday.

Given that it was your 40th anniversary, what would you do? Where would you go to eat? What would you consider REALLY special? [she is NOT into helicopter tours :-( ]

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

It all depends on your interests. Personally I would take the ferry to Haines, rent a car and spend a day driving to Haines Junction and back for hiking opportunities and breathtaking scenery. Skagway offers some interesting hikes, the White Pass and Yukon historic railroad and more.

Check this website http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Level Contributor
219 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

As I mentioned, we are taking the train to the Yukon on Saturday.

As to hiking in Haines, after 40 years of marriage, we are no longer as young or as fit as we once were and hiking is probably not an option.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

Sorry I miss this detail. The link in my post #1 provides many options beyond hiking or the train.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 15:16
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

It is really tough to answer your question:

>>What would you consider REALLY special?

Obviously what Places would consider really special is not what you would consider really special. I am not sure there is a "special" restaurant in Skagway. There is the gold rush show that is probably performing that evening and the NPS activities that Places mentioned. I spent 5 nights in/around Skagway a couple of summers ago. But I didn't eat out any of those days. Partly since I was moving around so much - overnighting in neighboring cabins - but partly since I didn't see any spectacular restaurants.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

Mish, we had a really good lunch at a Thai food restaurant in Skagway last summer, but no way could it be called "Special"........can't think of any place in Skagway that would be........maybe contact Dejon Delights and have them prepare you a special picnic of local gourmet items ?.........otherwise, maybe postpone your celebration until you are in a larger town........

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

Consider renting a car in Skagway, and get to YT, Drive through Whitehorse to Haines Junction, then to Haines, AK. Haines Junction has expensive but surprisingly fantastic restaurant with amazing food and spectacular views of Kluane National Park. To make this trip you would need passports and to eat at the Raven you would have to make reservations well in advance.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

Mish - interesting that Sunday (24th) is your 40th. Saturday (23rd) is our 50th. We have friends flying all the way to Homer to help us celebrate.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

Awww, Happy Golden Anniversary Homer John......a real milestone !

9. Re: Important date - Recommendations Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:41