We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway July 15

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Skagway July 15

We will be in Skagway on July 15 and plan to take the ferry to Haines. from there we plan to rent a car, sightsee a little, and go to the Kroschel Wildlife preserve. Any recommendations for the best way to accomplish this? Have contacted the wildlife preserve and they will accommodate us, we just need advice on the best way to get there.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skagway July 15

Just a little more info that might help with the advice: We are on a cruise ship - docking at 7:00 AM and leaving at 8:30 PM.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skagway July 15

Ladystone, stop by the Visitor's Center in town and pick up a map......they will give you directions to Steve's place........ You will park along side the road near his gate.......just wait on the bench there until he comes out to greet your group, there will probably be one bus load of people that will join you there..........

Make arrangements to rent your car ahead of time and have them meet you at the fast ferry dock.......

Try to make time for a ride out to Chilkoot River too while you are in town.........we have seen bears out there twice so far this summer.......very nice scenery, too......

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skagway July 15

mombear - do you think we will make the faster ferry? I read somewhere it leaves at 8:00 from Skagway. Also - which of the car rental companies are closest to the ferry? We have one elderly person in our group who cannot walk long distances

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skagway July 15

We call the Chilkat Ferry the fast ferry here in Haines as opposed to the State Ferry........the Chilkat Ferry is right at the docks near where the cruise ships are in Skagway....... http://www.hainesskagwayfastferry.com/

They run back and forth between the two towns several times a day..... do try to book tickets ahead of time.....

See if you can borrow a wheel chair from your ship to transport your elderly family member, it may make it easier to negotiate the ramps down to the ferry, which varies according the daily tides.......

The closest car rental to the ferry is at Hotel Halsingland, but I'm not sure if they will deliver to the ferry dock......I think the Captain's Choice motel does deliver their cars......

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skagway July 15

Just checked availability .. not many tickets left. There's an 8 Am departure only. Dang. I don't want to risk missing it if the boat docks at 7. That's what I get for waiting until the last minute to make plans.

6. Re: Skagway July 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:19