We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

My husband and I will be in Skagway on Aug 19--cruising with Royal Caribbean. We are considering an excursion offered that lets you ride the train up the mtn then bike back down. Has anyone done this? Just looking for any info you might have on this. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

I would not choose the biking tour.........the highway from the pass back down into town is a narrow winding road, very steep in places......since it is the ONLY highway out of town it is filled with motor homes and tour buses........There is also a chance that you could encounter rain.......This just does not sound fun to me.......

If you want a quiet peaceful bike ride rent a bike and set out on your own.... www.cyclealaska.com/store/rentals-skagway .....you could ride out to the old cemetery and waterfall (about a mile each way) or if you want more of a challenge, ride out to the old townsite of Dyea where the famous Chilkoot Trail starts......

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

On the upside: there's not much pedalling!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

You're right about the not much pedaling part, but it's the breaking part that tests my faith LOL......oh and maybe the looking over your shoulder for fast approaching RV's bearing down on you........

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

If I remember they ride down the hill in groups and not by your self. I think my daughter did this when she was working with Princess in 1998 or 1999. It was not a non-stop ride. Try the reverse (bike up and train back)

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

Thanks to all of you. You gave me several things to consider.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

Actually, having bicycled in the mountains of Austria, I can tell you that downhill can be worse than uphill. Constantly braking, etc.

Yes they do ride in groups and there is a leader at the front and back. I do recall reading a positive report of the bike trip from one poster who returned and posted a follow-up. But I am with mombear - I can't imagine biking on that road. Plus, in reality you only go as fast as the slowest person in the group. So if someone gets nervous with the hills, the speed, the other traffic, etc., then pretty much the entire group slows down.

I would think that renting bikes or even taking a bike tour in Juneau makes a lot more sense. They have some nice bike paths in the Valley (near Mendenhall Glacier) so you are not biking in the road, it is mostly flat and it is still quite scenic. Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
7. Re: Ride train up, bike back down-- has anyone done this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18