We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

My wife and I are doing a September 2014 Princess Alaskan cruise and will be in Skagway from 7:am to 8:30pm for 1 day only. We would like to do the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari but also do a train or bus/coach trip up to the Yukon. I understand that there are half day tours available. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers. Steve.

Trail of '98 Tours - Private Skagway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Skagway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Midnight Sun Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Skagway Day Trips
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Advice on what ?......Yes, it looks like you would have time to do both........the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari can only be booked through your cruise ship......but you can reserve tickets (or buy them at the train depot) once you get into Skagway......

You could also contact a local tour guide like Dyea Dave to arrange your train and bus into the Yukon.....I understand he uses vans instead of large buses and his tour guides are more flexible about stopping where you want along the way http://www.dyeadavetours.com/

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Thanks Mombear. Yes, I did want to know if we could do it all in 1 day. Would we have time to go into the Yukon or to the edge? Thanks again. Steve.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

I think the farthest any of the tours goes is to Emerald Lake.....none go all the way to Whitehorse......even getting to Whitehorse which is 2.5 hrs away from Skagway, will just get you into the southern part of Yukon......

Frankly, we live just across the border from the Yukon here in Haines and have visited it quite often for the last 10 years, and still have not seen all of it......It's a one of a kind diamond in the rough, with scenery that changes at every turn......If you like what you see from your Skagway tour, maybe you can come back next time and spend several weeks in the Yukon !

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

I am afraid that I don't agree with mombear in that I do not believe that you could do both in the same day. The Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is about 6.5 hours and can be booked independently with Alaska Excursions for the cost of $199 pp.

https:/…glacier_sk

This is the same trip as through Princess and the price is the same:

www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do…

The Dyea Dave combined train/van trips into the Yukon, the longest being to Emerald Lake, is 7 hours. Dave does have a shorter 3 hour summit tour which you could combine with the train, but that would not get as far as YT.

tripadvisor.com.au/…55190755

The train sometimes only goes as far as Fraser BC but more often to Carcross YT. On the WPYR site they advise that their 6 hour trip as far as Carcross and return by bus does not operate after 31 Aug, but that is the 2012 advice and that web page has not been updated to reflect any changes since then. There is a 4 hour Fraser Meadows rail run that cease on 8 Sep and that operates Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only. More detail is available on the WPYR website:

http://www.wpyr.com/index.html

Edited: 11 January 2014, 02:53
Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Thanks Frommy. It does look a bit stretched for time. I think that we might stick with the train and bus combination and see how far we can travel into the Yukon. Next time we are going to have to do it independently and give us more time. Too much to see. Thanks again. Cheers. Steve.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

No worries Steve. I can highly recommend Dave for a great trip. The ship booked trips board the train dockside, but the railway station is only about a 10 minute walk to board from the platform. Dave would probably arrange to meet you at the dock and may suggest that you do the road leg first if the Pass is cloud covered, with the rail trip back down. He is good that way with flexibility.

What I found was fun prior to our trip was looking at the webcams on the WPYR site once the season started. The 'port cam' is mounted on the roof of the rail platform.

What Princess are you sailing on and what date?

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Gidday Frommy. We are leaving Whittier on September 17 aboard the " Island Princess".

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Frommy, Alaska Excursions is a booking agent for GPWS..... the operators of the GP Wilderness Safari is Chilkat Guides... http://www.chilkatguides.com/glacierpoint.php

According to their website they only book through the cruise ships....interesting to see that they have made arrangements with Alaska Excursions to sell their trips, as well......

The Glacier Point tours begin at 7:30 am and take about 6 hrs.... so conceivably, Steve you would have plenty of time to take a train/bus combination afterwards......

But if you are wanting to do the longest trip into the Yukon, then as Frommy says you might want more time.....

Edited: 11 January 2014, 15:09
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Thanks mombear. I did think that 'Alaska Excursions' was a booking agent but could not locate the identity of the actual provider of the tour. I think one would have to go with the advice on the Chilkat Guides website rather than that from Alaska Excursions. It is the same trip and price after all.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and train/ bus tour

Also, I would consider possibly doing the Glacier Point excursion then perhaps using a rental car to head into the Yukon. You could possibly rent a car in Haines and drive up the Haines Highway rather than into the Yukon from Skagway. You just need to check the ferry schedule back from Haines to Skagway - it might or might not work. Otherwise consider the car rental from Skagway. That will give you more flexibility and you can turn back whenever you wish.