We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Skagway

Davie, Fl
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in Skagway

Need help! Coming in early June 2014 and still not Skagway plans. We are a family of four from Florida, love, love , love the outdoors and want to get the most out of our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. Children, two girls, ages 10 and 13 and are VERY adventorous! Will do anything without fear. We have already done ziplining so not interested in that. Our budget is open for the right excursion.Currently considering the Glacier Point Wildnerness Safari but really unsure about this for many reasons. Already doing Glacier Dog Sledding and Bering Fisherman tour. Please help!!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
607 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Skagway

I really do not understand why you have reasons for not going on the GPWS, since it is very adventurous and would probably fit of the young ones especially!

It is a bit expensive but this is true with most of the ship booked tours and you seem to have selected a couple of them which are in this price range, so is there something else which causes hesitation re this tour?

DD

Davie, Fl
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Skagway

Thank you for responding.

The tour actually looks kind of boring to me. It seems as though it is mostly a sightseeing tour. Have you been on it? Thinking with the pricey cost that the kids may not be too entertained. Am I possibly missing something? Also, being that we are from Florida, thinking it is going to be very COLD on the canoe!

Davie, Fl
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Skagway

Also considering taking the boat over to Hains and doing a mule tour through the wilderness. This is also mostly sightseeing and the mule is no treat for my children as we own one at home and ride quit frequently, although the whole family enjoys that and the great outdoors, especially being in Alaska. Very torn, want to get the best tour for our family.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Skagway

I have done most of the tours over here in Haines.....so let's see if I can shed some light on the subject.....

The Glacier Point Wilderness Safari as you have read the description is mostly sightseeing with a little canoe paddling on the small lake at the base of the glacier......we went on a sunny day and were not cold....you are provided with life jackets and rain gear so even if it is a drizzly day you should be comfortable.....

The 4x4 adventure would probably be more enjoyable to your kids as it is more active, and there is a very slim chance that you might see a bear up near the top of the mountain, but by and large it is still a sightseeing tour.......

Check to see if your ship is offering one of the tours to Steve Kroschels animal park......that tour has always been the highlight of any visiting relatives and friends, big and little kids alike.......Up close and personal to the animals, even the opportunity to feed a moose !......

The reason that so many of the tours are costly is the transportation costs......many of the tours from Skagway take place over here on the Haines' side of the Lynn Canal and the tours require a ferry tour to reach here, so more costly for fuel, etc......

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Skagway

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g60877-Activi…

Something to suit everyone but yes - be aware that many are just plant you butt on a seat in a bus and watch through the window. We were disappointed in our Dyea Dave tour and it is supposed to be one of the better ones........... I would go for something more participative next time - the ranger guided walk at the base of the Chilkoot Trail at Dyea sounds good.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Skagway

Hello1 My husband and I have rented a car in Skagway so we can explore and drive to Yukon at our leisure to explore. We will also be there in early june.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Skagway

Isn't that Bering Fisherman thing a tour in Ketchikan on the Aleutian Ballad of Deadliest Catch TV series?

In Sagway I always recommend the Bennett Experience where the train goes to Bennett for lunch and spend time walking about the old townsite. There is a lot of history there and your kids may (or may not) be interested - Klondike Gold Rush!

Aylesbury, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Skagway

Retired couple early 60's just returned from Alaskan Cruise. Whilst visiting Skagway, booked an excursion (Yukon) on arrival with Southeast Tours. This proved to be money well spent as it was cheaper than offered on board. The driver/guide named Brian was brilliant. He knew exactly where to stop for the best scenic views, something you can't do on the train, and was only to pleased to help out with photo's.

A brilliant trip with a brilliant guide, real value for money.

9. Re: Things to do in Skagway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:17