We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raanana Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

we will be in Seattle in beginning of August and want to do some sightseeing, including whalewatching! Lots of different sites on-line, but we don't want seakayaking, or lots of sightseeing on the islands, just a boat rip to see the whales!.Can u suggest a particular company or site that would help? We are a family of 5, including 3 kids aged 16-24. Thanks

Denver
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

We are going with Island Adventures out of Anacortes. They have gotten some very nice comments here and on another big travel forum.

Even if you decide not to go with them, check out their Whale Reports page - scroll way down past all the pictures and read the day by day reports. There are links at the bottom for previous years reports too. I think they give you a feel for what you *might* have a chance of seeing in the area based on the time of year.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

You might inform us of your travel schedule in the NW, WA, area. There is much to see and if you were to go to the San Juan Islands, that would be a good starting point for whale watching, as well as a great destination of itself.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

I have really enjoyed my trips with Island Adventures. They offer a couple of different options. I prefer the trip that leaves at about 11 and comes back at 4. The fast boat is a quicker trip but a) it is not covered so if it rains, you get wet, and b) you are stuck in your seat. The bigger boat lets you move around sit where you want, get snacks, and, for the teenagers curl up somewhere with your ipod for a while. My brother and his wife went on a trip out of Seattle that it took so long to get to where the whales were, they didn't have time to find any. You might consider making a two day trip of it, coming up Whidbey Island, doing some beachcombing at Deception Pass State Park then staying in Anacortes for the night before the trip. It is a completely manageable drive in one day though if you just come up I5 about 1.5 hours from Seattle (compared to three hours on the boat to get to the islands)

Brentwood, TN
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

We will also be in Seattle middle August and would like to watch whales. I did not see any responses. Also, which ferry is the best to take to Victoria. Have heard the sightseeing one can be very rough and takes a long time. Which one is best for taking a car?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,668 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

There is a whole section on the Seattle inside page for getting to Victoria however there are three choices, non from Seattle. The Victoria Clipper is the easiest but that is a psgr only ferry from Seattle. One choice is to cross the Canadian Border and take A BC Ferry. 2nd choice would be the Washington State Ferry from Anacortes and 3rd choice would be the Coho ferry from Pt. Angeles. I don't think any of them are particularly 'rought' as your in a protected bay most of the time not really on the open ocean.

6. Re: whale watching in the seattle area or san jaun islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 10:21