We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solar eclipse

hollywood,ca
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
solar eclipse

best places to watch solar eclipse

12 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solar eclipse

The path of totality goes through Oregon...but if you don't already have confirmed reservations it's too late to do anything but drive down in gridlocked traffic and wonder where to park. The state expects a million visitors and will be a zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solar eclipse

If the skies are clear on Monday morning, you can see a 92% eclipse from Seattle. I suggest that you find a place that gives you a reasonably clear view to the southeast.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: solar eclipse

Outside.

Level Contributor
38,244 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solar eclipse

Be sure to wear the eclipse glasses, we purchased ours yesterday. :)

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solar eclipse

Funny, bob ;). I'll be outside but not going anywhere near the path of totality . Traffic and PDX are already being deluged as we speak here. On Monday morning I'll grab my eclipse glasses and a folding chair and walk a half block to a neighborhood open park, not many trees it' s a play park, and sit down and look up :).99 percent is fine with me.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 20:24
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solar eclipse

I missed the last one as I was visiting my Mother in New Orleans. My brother watched it from Goldendale. He said what he remembers most is that the birds suddenly went silent!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solar eclipse

Hotels are available in the Tri-Cities and lots of empty spaces to watch from south of there in Oregon. 2-3 hour early morning drive (like 3am) will be reasonably uncrowded. The I-84 rest area at Weatherby will probably be packed but there's lots of empty dirt roads into the hills around the totality path.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solar eclipse

I'm afraid Sequim's optimistic view is totally unrealistic. Any...and I mean ANY...roads into the path of totality will be a complete mess. And venturing onto dirt and forest roads into the Cascades without knowing where you are going is a recipe for disaster. Complicating everything (as if a million extra people in the state isn't complication enough) are the fires, which are darkening the skies and displacing thousands of campers with nowhere else to go. The Oregon National Guard has been mobilized to relieve the fire fighters. State police are augmenting local law enforcement, but there is a real concern that first responders will not be able to get through the clogged roads to deal with emergencies and evacuations.

If you can't be in reserved lodging by Sunday and be able to stay until at least Tuesday, don't come. Or stay well north of the path of totality.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solar eclipse

Since the person posted in the Seattle section, I assume they mean in Seattle. Pioneer Square is having an event. Look at the Pioneer Square Facebook page.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
567 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
1,064 reviews