We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

Is it possible to arrive from Vancouver at the Seattle Amtrak station at 11:00 AM and get to the Seattle airport for a flight departing at 12:30pm with only carry-on luggage ? This would be on a May 2018 Monday morning.

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS, Including Space...
366 Reviews
from US$89.00*
Mt. Rainier Volcano Guided Full-Day...
269 Reviews
from US$134.99*
Best Seller
Seattle Locks Cruise
256 Reviews
from US$46.79*
11 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

No, you do not have enough time. The light rail is your most reliable transport from the train station to the airport. You should figure that that trip will take and hour. That leaves less than half an hour to get from the station to the terminal, through security and to your gate. I figure your odds are at least 10 to 1 against.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,671 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

No, not enough time. from International District station the Light Rail trip is about 35 minutes to SeaTac. But you might have to wait 10 mins for the next train to arrive. Plus say another 10-15 mins to walk from the train station TO the light rail station. So you're already at 1 hour. At SeaTac the station is a good 10-15 mins. walk to get over to the terminal.

15 mins. is not enough time to check in for a flight at SeaTac!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

no.....assuming the train is reliable and arrives when scheduled,

Culver City...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

With TSA PRE and assuming no N gate departure, 90 minutes from Int Distric to SEATAC is doable via LINK Light Rail, if pressed for time just take UBER/LYFT.

I regularly leave 90 minutes prior and take LINK, its 38 minutes to SEATAC.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
76 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

As others have stated, it'll take the better part of an hour to get from downtown to SeaTac via light rail. TSA recommends arriving at SeaTac two hours early to check in, get through airport security, etc. While there are stories of people making heroic (extremely short) journeys to the airport and through security, there are far more of people who ended up missing their flight because they cut things too close. Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

I don't see anything in the original post that mandates light rail... IF the train is on time at 11:00 from Vancouver, the OP could grab a taxi and be at SeaTac well before 11:30. Usually 30 minutes is more than enough to get through security and the OP would still have time before the flight started boarding..

Edited: 28 December 2017, 03:31
Washington State
Level Contributor
968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

I won't say it is impossible, it is barely possible, but it is very risky. If one thing goes wrong you are out of luck.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is airline requirements to be at the gate. For Alaska, the major carrier here, you are required to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure. They will button up the plane and be ready to push back as soon as possible. I have seldom seen an Alaska flight that starts loading on time at SEA still open at departure time. It is likely to be closed up 10 minutes before "scheduled departure." Roll up at 12:20 and find boarding complete, say well departure wasn't until 12:30, the gate agent will tell you you were supposed to be there by 12:00.

Edited: 28 December 2017, 21:27
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,671 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

Sure, they can try to do it in a taxi. Might work.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

Even a taxi is cutting it very close. Partly because I do not trust Amtrak at all. Partly because there could be a serious accident that slows the taxi way down.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,120 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport

I'd take a later flight by 1.5 hours or go down on the train the evening before.

Reply to: Seattle - Amtrak to Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted