We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Clipper

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Clipper

We will be visiting in early July. We will be in Seattle for 5 days. Looking at taking the Victoria Clipper. Seems like it might be a better day trip than to Vancouver due to time. Can someone give me the details on what to expect/advantages? Looking at a scenic trip-hopefully whale watching and then a day in Victoria. Any insights and/or recommendations? Vancouver alternatives?

Thanks,

Casa

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,912 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Clipper

either can be done but expect a very long day trip. You have to go thru customs on both sides, so getting to the boat, waiting, customs and travel time eats up about 8 hrs. Its better as an overnite, but worth doing. You might consider the VC trip just to the San Juan Islands with whale watching. That would be a good alternative. Its a fun trip but expect to spend the majority of your time in transit vs sightseeing. From Vancouver its about the same amount of time. Way more to see in Vancouver but Victoria is quaint and victorian vs modern and contemporary.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Clipper

Hi, Casa.

I think a day trip to Victoria on the Clipper is worth doing. It will be a long day, but the Clipper is fairly relaxing. Victoria is quite a bit smaller than Vancouver, so it's easy to walk to the main sights around the waterfront (where the Clipper docks).

Vancouver is more spread out, so it's more difficult to see a lot of the city if on foot/taking public transportation. If you do decide to head to Vancouver, the train is a good way to go.

One more note about the Clipper - the Entertainment book offers a 50% off coupon for one ticket on the Clipper. I used my coupon earlier this year and it saved me about $40 on my ticket. The book is only $18.50 right now, so might be worth checking out (www.entertainment.com). There may be blackout dates, however, so you should probably verify that the coupon would be usable for your trip before you buy the book.

-Carrie

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Clipper

A day trip is totally doable as the Clipper leaves very early in the morning and the trip over is only 2-2 1/2 hours. The ride over there is very pretty, too. Getting through customs when you dock doesn't take that long (MUCH different then driving into Canada). They have plenty of package deals, though, if you chose to stay over a night and I think it's worth staying. The town is small, but they have some cute restaurants, plus the gardens, high tea, fun stores and a couple of museums.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
4. Re: Victoria Clipper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:20