We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin, TN...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

Ok, some things have changed and we are pushing to find a budget hotel, as we really don't want to waste money on a room we won't be around to enjoy. I know we are coming in the high season, and I researched all the previous suggestions. We just don't want to waste $200 on a room. Does anyone have any comments on the following? Out of these, what would you pick:

The Moore Hotel, The Panama Hotel or The Ace

Are there any clean budget chains (Holiday Inn Express etc) in the main area?

This is a fun trip for my hubby and me ( ages 29 & 30). We have modified our plans, and are coming to Seattle now at the beginning of Aug. because of airfare prices. We will be there 4 nights. We want something very central to the free bus zone, main attractions (planning to see music exp., market, space needle, art museum, underground tour & take a ferry ride). Our main priorities are cleanliness, safety, not too noisy, and great location. We don't mind sharing a bathroom; aren't worried so much about air conditioning, but want a nicer stay than a hostel. Also, I have checked some suggested B&Bs, but they are too expensive, or are too removed from the main thrust of the city. We will not have a car! Thanks again! Feel free to suggest any other place I might have overlooked!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

The Moore and the Ace both have great locations, but noise is definitely going to be a concern, since you'll have to leave your windows open to the street (no A/C) and both are in areas that have a lot of street noise late at night.

The Panama isn't as convenient (although the location isn't bad by any means--just out of the main area of downtown in the ID) but I'd imagine it would be quieter. I go to the teahouse frequently and it's charming (and the history is fascinating) but I haven't seen the rooms.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

This hotel is about 3 blocks uphill from the free bus zone, if that isn't too far: http://www.baronesshotel.com/room_rev3.htm. It's near some hospitals, so it might be noisier than you want at times with ambulances arriving. The room rates are quite good.

Franklin, TN...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

Thanks you guys! I thought that when I called the Ace said they have air conditioning. Their suites are higher than those of The Moore Hotel. Someone warned me that the Panama Hotel has some "sketchy" area that might be hard to know, if you aren't from the area. Any more suggestions? I will check out the one you mentioned, Tofumagoo! Keep up the good advising;-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

If the Ace has added A/C to its rooms then it would be a good choice since the noise from 1st Avenue won't be as much of an issue. From looking at their website, it appears that it might be only the deluxe rooms that have A/C though so you should definitely check when you call to reserve.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

the Ace Hotel is in a great location in Belltown (I work nearby and have not stayed there myself). it's definitely got personality and seems like is would make a fun homebase.

the Moore Hotel is even more central in downtown and functional but certainly wouldn't be called stylish. but since you're comparing to a step up from a hostel considering shared baths and such, it might be OK.

there is a Ramada, La Quinta, Sixth Ave Inn, 8th Ave Inn, Holiday Inn Express and a few like that up north/east-ish end of Belltown towards Denny and the Seattle Center/Aurora Ave side area.

Bloomington, IN
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

We visit Seattle every year and always stay at the Moore Hotel. True, this is a bare bones hotel with no TV or telephones in the room. Bathrooms are decent- all seem to have been remodeled- and rooms are clean. Since we're a family of three we've always had a private room so I've never experienced the shared baths. We've never been bothered by noise, even with the windows open, but usually request a room on the top floor just in case. But you might want to make sure there's not a big show scheduled at the Moore Theater next door during your stay. The location can't be beat- just a short walk down to the Pike Place Market for breakfast. We see lots of backpackers and European tourist types at this hotel and think it is quite safe- and I'm not sure I could say the same for some of the hotels across the street which look more like SROs. So, if you don't plan to hang out in the room and don't require any amenities, I would definitely go with the Moore. To the best of my knowledge, this hotel has been owned by the same family for years, and we usually see the same guy behind the front desk. Its not quite the bargain it used to be even a couple of years ago- but the rooms with shared baths are still cheap.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

I would say stay away from the 6th Ave Inn. My son stayed there this past weekend and they found a crack pipe sitting on the counter in the bathroom. When they called the front desk to report it the manager said they would have security come up and remove it. After it was removed he called back and asked them to come and reclean the room because they had found a collection of hair and other unsavory things. The front desk said the room was clean enough and the crack pipe had been missed because all their maids are short!

lower alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

I stayed last month at the Sheraton in Seattle for $126 per night and you got a free night if on the weekend!

Don't know if the deal is still there. Hotel is only four blocks from Pike Market.

Rochester
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

How did you get the rate of $125 per night at the Sheraton?

10. Re: Must decide on a budget hotel for Aug. trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:22