We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Santa Barbara, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

I'm planning my first ever trip to Seattle and want to know if it's possible to take 2 separate day trips from Seattle to Port Townsend and somewhere in the San Juans like Friday Harbor? I won't have a car and plan instead on using public transportation. I'll be there in mid August for 5 days and will stay in a downtown Seattle hotel. Logistically, it seems difficult to go to Port Townsend for the day. Same with Friday Harbor. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any and all input:)

kw

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Pt. Townsend is pretty difficult. There is a bus line Olympic that runs buses to Pt. Angeles on a regular basis, but its not that easy. Friday Harbor however is pretty easy. You can book a trip on Victoriaclipper.com and it will leave from downtown Seattle. Thats one of the best bets to do this tripl.+

Santa Barbara, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Thank you for the advice!!! It's greatly appreciated. I will definitely check out VictoriaClipper.com.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Getting to Port Townsend will require a bit of planning, but the route is fairly direct.

From Seattle, take the Bainbridge ferry. From the ferry terminal on Bainbridge, you'll need to take a Kitsap Transit route 90 bus to Poulso Transfer Center. From the transfer center, you'll need a Jefferson Transit route 7 to Port Townsend.

The route 7 buses are timed to connect with some of the route 90 arrivals. The Kitsap Transit schedule at http://www.kitsaptransit.org/bus90.html shows which buses connect and has a link to the Jefferson route 7 schedule.

Obviously plan your return carefully -- the last bus back from PT is in the afternoon. On your return you might want to spend some time in Poulsbo or Bainbridge. Or skip PT and just go as far as one (or both) of these places.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Odd, I could not go into a 2nd page on the Victoria Clipper website using Firefox, but could using IE.

Santa Barbara, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you everybody for your tips! With your help, everything is coming together. I actually just booked a hotel that I saw recommended to someone else on a different thread. A plethora of useful info!!!

6. Re: Day trips to Port Townsend and San Juans possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 01:19