We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

I am planning a road trip (for one) in late October-early November. Would like suggestions on where to go, where to sleep, what to do during this time period. Planning to arrive in Seattle, WA (from Baltimore, MD) and leave from Los Angeles, CA.

I've NEVER been to the West Coast and am not into camping, although I do enjoy outdoor attractions (as well as your typical big city activities: architecture, local bars, museums etc.).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

I think the more interesting route is down the oregon coast and down the california coastline to Los Angeles. You could drive Seattle to Corvallis then to Newport Oregon. Newport to Coos Bay. Coos Bay to Eureka. Eureka to SF. Sf to Monterey--Pebble Beach area. Then I would go to Hearst Castle. HC to Solvang, then into LA. That would be 7 nites of driving. Adding 2 days Seattle, 2 days SF and 2 days LA, that would give you a good variety of sites. Look at hotelcoupons.com. They have books at rest areas and give discount rates at hotels along the route. Great for this kind of trip. My route is merely a suggestion, but I like driving down 101 vs just driving down I-5. I would take 5 to Corvallis but then head over to the coast and hwy 101

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

Suggest you post this on the OR forum also. With two weeks in hand, I'd head to Olympic National Park, Hurricane Ridge, then south to Astoria and south along the entire OR coast. It is that beautiful.

Come to think of it, ONP if there is no or limited snow at Hurricane Ridge.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

We are appoeching winter at that time of year maybe. Could be snow in the mountains. and some of our best mountain places may be hard to see much. and even if you can get there, may be cloud covered, but

My thoughts

Hurricane Ridge

Mt St Helens

Columbia Gorge

Oregon Coast .

Redwoods,

and in Cal I would go down Big Sur, but not sure I would choose Mandocino Coast, very nice but can take time

And city time that could take 3 or 4 days if you choose.. Given one city I would pick San Francisco for first time to west

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

The Oregon coast is wonderful even when it's raining. See as much of it as possible. I consider it one of the most beautiful coastlines in the USA.

The drive down Hwy 1 from Monterey to San Simeon is wonderful and the weather should be good that time of year. Be sure to stop and see Hearst Castle, but call and make reservations a day or two in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

Here's some suggestions

2 nights in Seattle

Day 3 drive to Mt. St. Helens

Stay that night in Portland

OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science & Industry

Interesting place in Portland

See the Portland forum for more city ideas, however, speaking of architecture, a cool place to stay is the Edgefield Inn, part of the McMenamins chain. Catch a flick while enjoying a brew & pub food. Not sure if this is common on the East coast but fairly rare out West.

From Portland to the Oregon Coast

The Sea Lion Caves are spectacular. Not sure about that time of the year though, so I'd research that one first. I agree with the other post that the OR coast is beautiful even in the rain. Florence & Gold Beach stand out in my mind.

Oregon Coast to Bay Area

2 nights in SF is easy. Such a cool city. Fisherman's Warf for an early lunch. Clam chowder, fresh bread, shrimp cocktails ... all delish.

Monterrey Bay Aquarium is the most impressive aquarium I've ever been to. But then again I've only been to 4 others. :) The Monterrey/Santa Cruz area in general is a great place to hang out for a few days.

I agree with the suggestions on Hearst Castle, especially since you appreciate architecture.

Personally, I would pass L.A. altogether & go to San Diego instead. The La Jolla area has snorkeling, boat trips, nice beaches & weather often in the 70s even in Nov. Plenty warm enough for water based activities to end your trip.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

I'll add a little more to nirvania's comments. Monterey Bay Aquarium is outstanding and we've been to several really good ones.

Yes, spend some time in San Francisco. While I much prefer San Diego over Los Angeles, there is one place that is a 'must see' in Los Angeles since you like architecture--the Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA. It is absolutely incredible inside and out. Take the audio or guided tour of the building and if possible get tickets to a concert while you are there.

Also just up the street from the Disney Concert Hall is the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. It is very new and unlike any Catholic cathedral you have ever seen. In Garden Grove (part of LA) is the Crystal Cathedral. The buildings, gardens and sculptures there are also pretty impressive.

And for fabulous art and architecture, the Getty Center in LA and the Getty Villa in Malibu are wonderful. The beach at Malibu is not bad either.

So don't skip all of LA, but allow some time for San Diego and at least Balboa Park and the Gaslight District.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

Thanks to all of your suggestions. Was a little bit apprehensive of finding stuff to fill two weeks with but now I'm REALLY looking forward to this trip :-)

Will definitely take Nirvania's tip about SF and Fisherman's Warf (yum!) ;-)

8. Re: West coast road trip (one-way) in 14 days.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 11:16