We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

My husband and I will be flying with Alaska Airlines from Vancouver, BC to Puerto Vallarta at the end of Nov. and we have the option as to having connecting flights in either San Francisco or Portland. We have never travelled thru San Francisco or Portland and wondered if anyone knows which airport would be easier for making the connection. Also which airport is more reliable for not loosing luggage during the connection? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lin5054

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Portland's airport is much, much smaller so as far as convenience it would be my choice. They handle less luggage so I would think there would less chance of losing it.

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Weather delays in SF airport cause the closure of runways because the runways are parallel. In extreme weather, which looks like regular Seattle November weather to me, the planes don't take off simultaneously but alternate instead. Add bad weather to an already busy United hub and the planes get later and later. I have spent many hours of my Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays sitting at SFO waiting for my plane back to Seattle.

Choose Portland. It's a nice airport with lots of shopping. I was stuck there once for 15 hours and was able to keep myself occupied. The shops have the same prices as their off airport retail outlets and there is no sales tax in Oregon so you can go hog wild.

P.S. The 15 hour Portland delay was not weather related.

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Thanks so much everyone, great info.

Lin5054

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

As I said on oreg boards. I wonder if Portland flight stops again before PV, like SFO

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,870 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Like LAX, I avoid flying into SFO when possible.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

That's funny, as I've had better Alaska Air connections SFO than LAX (there was always a nice bar in San Francisco near the gate!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,870 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

No Im not saying I like LAX, Im saying as with LAX I avoid SFO if possible.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

oh -i get it- they both are a hassle!

Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

Thanks everyone for all the info. I booked our flights today and we will be connecting in Seattle on the way down to Puerto Vallarta and on our return we will be connecting in Portland. Yes there are direct non-stop flights from Portland to Puerto Vallarta flying with Alaska Airlines, they are apparently relatively new. Again thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Lin 5054

10. Re: Which is better for connecting flights San Fran or Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 17:17