We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Hi All, Am thinking of spending a few days (3 or 4) in Seattle this year. Probably including Christmas day. (Adult and 18yo girl on a budget).

We want to do the Needle, ferry's, and see whales.

What do you all see as the MUST SEE's. Will probably hire a car if people think that is best.

We're coming from Australia so we only know what we are told by 'Grey's Anatomy", "Sleepless" etc.

Has any one done the train trip from Chicago?

Thanks All, from the Aussies.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

if you click on my name and go to inside pages you will see a one day itinerary without a car. Thats a good start. I don't think you need a car. Staying downtown at Xmas there are carriage rides and lots of activities without leaving too far. If you use Hotwire or similar to book a room pick downtown zone only and you will get a decent rm at a reasonable price if you want to economize. Buses downtown are free so really no need for a car. Not sure about whales in December however.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Chicago is a heckuva LONG ways from Seattle!!! That's all I can say about the train trip.

You don't need to rent a car for seeing downtown Seattle. I would include the Pike Place Market, the Smith Tower observation deck, Pioneer Square historic district, Chinatown, the Space Needle.

I'm not sure about seeing whales, or seeing them in December. I live here and have never seen one.

A ferry ride simply over to Bainbridge Island for lunch then back is good. 1/2 hour ride each way, excellent views. $6.95 pp.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Also realize in December the days are extremely short here (because we are so far north). Very dark time of year! Sun's only up from about 8am to 4pm in December, shortest day of the year and all. It will be cold and raining most likely, possibly even snow.

Washington State, WA
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Hi there,

Definitely don't include Chicago on this trip, as it's clear across the country..probably like going from Perth to Darwin.

If you stay downtown Seattle, you should be able to do the Pikes Street Market & the Space Needle, easily, in one day..may even be able to fit in Pioneer Square.

If you are open to renting a car for a day, you could catch an AM ferry to Whidbey Island, and drive the entire island (stopping in several towns), from south to north. THen you could drive over Deception Pass (beautiful views), and back to Seattle, via La Conner (cute town).

Seattle
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

To second what Suze says, daylight the end of December is half what it is in June. Two or three rainy days can dampen a visit--and big time if you want to see some of the countryside. If you could come in our summer, please do. Otherwise, we always welcome visitors to our fair city.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

We spent time in Canberra last July - my son was a Student at ANU. I think you will find our December, much like your July in Canberra - with less sun. We had snow in Canberra during our visit - you could have the same type of weather in Seattle at Christmas, it will be chilly, with rain, maybe snow.

Christmas will be festive, with lights, activity in downtown Seattle and there will be plenty of events. You won't need a car if staying downtown for just a few days.

What is your exact schedule and time frame for this US trip? Interests? Whale watching is not an option for December. A few more details, and we can better advise you.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

Hi - we love Australia and am glad to hear you are thinking of visiting us.

I think you got good advice on what to do in Seattle but you might also add in a visit to our Woodland Park Zoo and Seattle Acquarium - since we have so many different animals than you do down under.

Seeing whales depends on luck. One time we saw a pod of Orcas frolicking on our way back from Vancouver Island, Canada. The ferry captain stopped the boat becuase they were so close. It was great - one of the deckhands on the ferry said she used to work on a whale watching boat and they weren't allowed to get as close to the whales as they were to us. You have a great chance of seeing whales if you go to Hawaii (esp. Maui) instead of Seattle - and the weather will be much better too!

Frankly, I wouldn't suggest you leave your summer to join us in Seattle's soggy and cold winter. If you want to visit Seattle, come in late July, August, or September. We have long days, and you can enjoy the scenic vistas that are blocked by clouds in the winter.

Whenever you come, enjoy your trip!

Cindy

8. Re: Seattle for Christmas 2008??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 14:17