We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

We are going to be in Seattle at the end of February and would like a romantic place to stay that is convenient to all the touristy things. I have read a lot of bad reviews on the Edgewater, but it looks really nice. Any advice anyone can give would be great - by the way, we will not have a car...

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

Edgewater has a really cool, unique location, BUT...unless you have a waterfront room, many of the rooms can be very noisy, as the hotel is on Alaskan Way with cars and trains 24/7. I don't think of it as that romantic and service can be spotty.

I would recommend the Hotel 1000, followed by the Monaco, only because the 1000 is new and service is outstanding. The Monaco isn't bad either, a little more on the "quirky" side (ask for a pet fish for your room). Both are located in the same general area. Views are better at the 1000.

Others to include for romance would be the Inn at the Market, or if traditional elegance brings out your romance consider the Fairmont Olympic or Sorrento.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

I would definitely go with the Hotel 1000 of those three choices (although the decor is more modern than traditionally "romantic", I'd say), and agree with the other suggestions to consider made by the previous poster.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

I would concurr, for romance The Inn At The Market is the place to go, and for elegance the Sorrento and the Olympic Fairmont. The Silver Cloud on Lake Union is a relatively new hotel and also has nice water views, plenty of restaurants in the immediate area and connected by a short trolly ride to the downtown core.

The Edgewater is fine if you get waterside rooms, but if you can't get one of those, then it has no real attraction.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

Personaly, I'm a big fan of the Monaco. I love the staff and location. The drawbacks are that the rooms are small (beautifully decorated, but small).

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

travgran -

I saw your note that Silver Cloud on Lake Union is connected by "short trolly ride" to downtown core. Do you have more information on that?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

The Seattle Streetcar (or S_UT: South Lake Union Trolley, as we locals are fond of saying!) opened in December 2007 and is terrific for people getting from the Lake Union area into the downtown core. Here is more info including route map:

http://www.seattlestreetcar.org

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

Thanks Islandgirl for putting that link up.

Alaskachick, if you book here, make sure you get a lakeview room, the romance is in having the view!

8. Re: Edgewater, Hotel Monaco or Hotel 1000?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:16