We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dtmurai
8 posts
Save Topic
Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Can someone give us advise on the best daily commute from these two locations to get in to Seattle. Specificlaly the Columbia building. We are open to all travel options. We drive, we can take train or ferry or a combinationof teh two. Just need the best route for the least time and what is the expected time of travel with these options?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

I'm a bit confused by this and your other posts and your intentions. For example, how much do you want to spend on housing (you cited a very large house in another post). You expressed concern about the weather in another post; so why move here? Etc.

With re: Port Orchard, you would have two ferry routes to choose from to get to Seattle, and both are crowded for commutes and it'll take some time.

From Gig Harbor, I would not even consider it as within reasonable commuting range.

dtmurai
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Husband is the bread winner and we go where the money takes us. I am asking for help not crticism here. I really am asking these questions to fill in pieces of the puzzle. We are on the Esat coast and it is very difficult to organize such a large move with a large family from the opposite side of the US. My husband is ok to a one hour commute (approx. Is that feasible from eitehr of these locations?

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

In my opinion, neither of those places are close enough to commute to downtown Seattle.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

My son lives in Belltown area of Seattle and it takes us 1 hour with minimal traffic to get there from Gig Harbor. I would drive over taking a ferry any day unless you want to walk on. If walking on is an option I would live in Silverdale and take the Bremerton ferry. Actually lots of people live in Gig Harbor and commute to Seattle. Some even live out on the Key Peninsula, which is another 20-30 minutes farther out.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Gig Harbor is 46 miles from Seattle there is no ferry or train.

Port Orchard is technically only 15 miles but that is across a body of water. Again, no train.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

I did not mean to be critical; like you, I'm trying to pull your pieces, i.e., posts, together.

MapQuest says, Gig Harbor to Seattle:

Total Estimated Time: 51 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 44.70 miles

I don't believe this for a second. Others can chime in, but there are several areas on this route that can be very time consuming. I'd guess, at best, 90 minutes during the commute. If he were traveling with another person, the express lanes would help speed the trip.

MapQuest shows essentially the same route if I add in Port Orchard, but the time now is:

Total Estimated Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 60.56 miles

Again, I don't buy that time at all.

An option, as suggested earlier, drive to Bremerton and take the Seattle Ferry; the ferry ride alone is about 55 minutes, driving time to Bremerton from Port Orchard is 9 miles, but traffic could easily add to the estimated time of 17 minutes. At best, it's about 1.5 hours, Port Orchard to Seattle. But, you avoid the driving issues from Gig Harbor.

Alternatively, you can take the ferry from Southworth to Seattle, via Vashon Island (you stay on the ferry). From the general Port Orchard area to Southworth: Total Estimated Time: 17 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 8.28 miles. The ferry ride is about 40 minutes.

One then must drive from Fauntleroy, SW Seattle, into Seattle, and that takes time.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Lastly, it would help to know the house price you would consider, because prices here are high, and we have been somewhat less affected by the economic crunch felt elsewhere. It is possible that you could reside in a more proximate location than you know.

Best wishes on a complex move.

dtmurai
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Ideally we would love to be under 350K. Any suggestions would be lovely! Thansk so much for all the help!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Why are PO or Gig Harbor your initial choices? do you have friends, relatives or other recommendations for those choices? A little more information can help us point you in the right direction. So far I have read: 350K for housing, 5 bdrm, good schools, maybe an hour commute - anything else?

dtmurai
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

Need at about .5 acres. It seemed to be one of the areas coming up with best pricing os R.E.

dtmurai
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to move to Port Orchard or Gig Harbor, commute?

I am sorry I am the typo queen please forgive me. Those two areas seemed to be lowest for RE prices. We have been told to avoid the I5 Hwy. So Puyallup, Olympia, Tacome and other areas were knocked off the list due to that. We drove through Renton and that was not something we had interest in.