We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Vancouver by car??

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
452 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Vancouver by car??

Is this a scenic ride, and about how long should it take??

Thanks!!

Stan

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

The fastest route is I-5 and no, it's not particularly scenic. It takes about 3 hours without stops, possibly a bit longer depending on traffic and how backed up the border is.

If you do a search on previous posts about this trip, you'll see some suggestions for scenic detours, such as La Conner, Whidbey Island/Deception Pass and Chuckanut Drive.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

I agree with above. Not very scenic unless you take the train which follows the coast. Border delays can be lengthy. Click on my name and read inside page on trips to Vancouver and Victoria.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

Plan your drive to Vancouver so that you get to the tunnel (in Vancouver) before 3:30 pm or else you be faced with a long line up and rush hour traffic going into Vancouver.

Since the border traffic is unpredictable I would leave Seattle by 10:00 am.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

I know you said by car, but the train trip we took several years ago from Seattle to Vancouver was relaxing and very scenic. At times we felt like the train was right over the water. Just a suggestion. Enjoy Washinton State. If you have time, come south to Olympia.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

A couple comments on what was said before:

The Chuckanut Drive would add about one hour to the trip and is very pretty. Larrabee State Park has big purple and orange starfish in its tidal pools.

Somebody mentioned reaching the tunnel on highway 99 at the south end of Richmond early in the day before the traffic builds. Indeed, that is a bad choke point. However, I wouldn't try to go that way at all. Highway 99 dumps you off on residential streets far from downtown and the route becomes very confusing.

Instead, back at the border in Blaine, leave I-5 by exit 275. The sign says "Truck Customs", but cars are permitted too. There may be a backup here, but it will be much less than the Peace Arch crossing.

Across the border, continue north on "Pacific Highway 15 - 176th Street". After about 20 miles you intersect "Trans Canada Highway 1". Take highway 1 into Vancouver. If you are staying downtown, strike out for the downtown on East Hastings Street. I prefer to stay in North Vancouver (near Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge) or Burnaby (good Chinese food, Burnaby Mountain, Burnaby Heritage Village).

6. Re: Seattle to Vancouver by car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 04:16