We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

Hi everyone:

My wife & I are headed up I-5 in a few weeks and are planning to stay in downtown Seattle. However, we're going to see Radiohead in concert at White River Amphitheatre and are wondering what the traffic (rush hour!) might be like; the concert is on a Wednesday night at 7:30pm. Any tips for getting in/out of the venue?

BTW, I did consider staying closer to Auburn (including Tacoma), but we only venture up to Seattle about once a year and decided we want to stay downtown...

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

Yes, my tip is to have lots of patience because it will take you forever to get there and to leave! I've sworn I'll never go back there after seeing Coldplay there a couple years ago because the parking/traffic/shuttle setup is so terrible.

So the best thing to do is allow yourselves plenty of time to get parked and take the shuttle and recognize that it's just going to take you a long time to get back to Seattle after the show. I haven't tried to park at the venue (as opposed to parking offsite and taking the shuttle) because I've heard it's even worse getting out of there if you do.

Do you have reserved or GA tickets? With GA you'll want to get there earlier to get a decent spot on the lawn.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

Thanks nww:

We have reserved tickets AND we have a 'Premier Parking' Pass (whatever that's worth...), thanks to a friend getting our tix the minute they went on sale...

So my plan was to leave downtown at 5pm to get to a concert starting at 7:30 - does that seem reasonable? Or what we might do is grab some picnic food, a few local bottled brews and get there even earlier - are there any tables/shady spots on the grounds outside the amphitheatre?

B

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

I think leaving Seattle at 5 PM would be fine given the fact that you have reserved seats and a parking pass. There is a food/picnic area but it's not particularly scenic so I wouldn't go out of your way to spend extra time there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

Since it sounds like there will be two of you in the car you'll be able to use the carpool lanes on I-5 or Highway 167, and that should save you some time.

But leaving at 5 could be cutting it tight depending on how the traffic is on Highway 18 and how backed up the Auburn-Enumclaw Highway is. Since I don't like to be late, or stress over traffic I recommend trying to leave a little earlier.

Hopefully your hotel will have an internet connection where you can check the traffic cams that afternoon to gauge the traffic flow and leave earlier if needed.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

I'd leave earlier. Even by a couple hours & try to miss rush hour on I-5. Without traffic the drive is only about 1 hours time and the second half of it is kind of pretty. I'd go down in the afternoon and poke around Auburn or something maybe.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

I'll be at the show, too (on the lawn). I hope you have fun. I'm sure you will considering the sort of show Radiohead put on.

We live in Seattle and are probably leaving between 4 and 5. From what I understand there is an opening band, and I really don't care if I miss them.

7. Re: Downtown to White River Amphitheatre - how's the drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 19:18