We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

Has anyone taken a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and back again. We will be doing that next June. We are in the process of picking a cruise line and have been told Norwegian specifically the Pearl or Holland America , specifically the Westerdam, would be our best choices. Anyone have an opinion? We have also posted at cruisecritic,.com and trip advisor Alaska board.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

though the demographic of cruises have changed dramatically NCL seems to attract younger people and families. Prices are probably a little cheaper. Holland America is based in Seattle and is usually top notch, though may attract a slightly older more formal crowd. Curious what the experts have to say.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

CruiseCritic is a great site for the cruise related questions. As for the general Seattle/Alaska RT routes....think of it as a "Taste of Alaska" but missing some of the full experience. It all depends on how far north it goes. Some make it to Glacier Bay (or Icy Straight) and turn back. You get a sense for the Inside Passage and the remote "green-ness" of it all but little in the way of spectacular glacier covered mountains, etc... like you would on a one-say to Seward. Also...the return routes are often a fast run outside of Vancouver Is. where there are more waves...not nearly as calm as the IP.

We cruised Alaska on Holland America (Veendam) and enjoyed it very much. One key on the Alaska cruises is that the smaller ships are better. They get closer to things and can take tighter passages than the mega ships. The scenery is the thing so ship board activities on a large ship are not needed. Also, if there is a decision of balcony or not due to cost differences pick the one with the balcony. Truely a MUST for the "near shore" passages.

Orange
Level Contributor
39 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

I have just booked a cruise with NCL on the Pearl for May 24 and we splurged for the balcony room. The price was less than Holland. We chose NCL for the Freestyle dining choices and variety of restaurants onboard. Formal nights are optional too so with the luggage restrictions on the airlines, we will not have to bring a lot of real dressy clothes. I am looking forward to it and now am looking for a hotel and things to do for a couple of days before the cruise in Seattle.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

Thanks everyone for your help. Alaska is going to be a little bit of a stretch for me. I usually enjoy sightseeing in Europe, or relaxing at an all inclusive in Mexico. We are treating our adult children to this trip. We usually take them with us whenever schedules permit. I am thickening heavily about the More about texlady25...

Posted on: 9:09 am, today Save

I have just booked a cruise with NCL on the for the Freestyle dining choices . We are busy people and love spending tiem together and we can spend dinner sitting together. I love meeting new people, but will cherish some family dinners. I know many of the restaurants onboard have a fee and that has upset people. I also know that the buffet there has a reputation of being a zoo. So, we decided that if the complimentary restaurants don’t meet our needs, we will take the money we are not spending by taking a more expensive cruise like Princess or HAL and apply it here. I also heard that alcohol is much more expensive on NCL than other cruise lines. 3 out of the 4 of us enjoy a cocktail or wine with dinner and perhaps some alter at night as well( after all we are eon vacation). However we will also budget for that! . I love how Formal nights are optional. and also do not want to pack real dressy clothes too so with the luggage restrictions on the airlines. I do know if we book HAL or Princess we can always eat from the buffet. However, of the food at formal night is quite good. I know once the nitty gritty decisions are made, I will start enjoying the fact that I will see some beautiful scenery in the world .if I enjoy this tiny taste, I will go back for a more intense trip.

5. Re: Cruise from Seattle to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 13:20