We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing, equipment

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
clothing, equipment

It has been suggested that we pack lightly for airline restrictions and buy or rent clothing and gear right before we get on our Alaskan cruise.( we were told there are some inexpensive places) We have one set of binoculars and will need 3 other pair. Living in Atlanta , we will definitely need to purchase clothing . We are leaving out of Seattle. Has anyone done this? I will post to Alaskan board as well.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing, equipment

There is probably a better selection of winter coats here, and it is easy to shop in downtown Seattle not far from the cruise ships.

REI and other sports shops will carry cold weather gear and binoculars, if you want one-stop shopping to save time.

I don't know of anyone who rents coats or binoculars.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing, equipment

coberg, you don't provide dates, but if you have time, eagleoptics.com are reputable. If you will be using the binos more than just for this trip, here is an inside page developed for Yellowstone that you might find useful.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing, equipment

Thanks so much. We aren't going til June, but I actually found myself with a little bit of extra time today as I was unexpectedly off from work.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing, equipment

You can order online at REI.com then pick-up in the Seattle store (with no shipping/handling charges). Even better, REI has four locations in Georgia - should you want to try any items. REI membership is nominal and good for life, and members get a yearly return/dividend on purchases.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,454 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing, equipment

Call REI, I know they rent tents for camping.

Who told you there were inexpensive places to buy or rent gear? Maybe you can ask them the specifics. I've never heard of anything like this.

There's an Army Navy type store on 1st between Lenora & Blancard. Let me know if you want me to check the price of binoculars, I'll work nearby and can easily stop in and check for you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing, equipment

Thanks . I will ask her to let me know exactly where. I am excited to see Seattle

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothing, equipment

REI, in addition to tents, rents quite a bit of gear, depending on what you are seeking and the season. I would call the Seattle REI Rental shop for availability. Feathered Friends, across the street from REI also rents select gear for the adventurer.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/

Also across the street from REI, is a Play It Again Sam's Sports, with new and used sports clothing & gear at discounted prices.

Second Ascent, one of my favorites, located in the Ballard area, offers very reasonable prices with new and used mountaineering, climbing, backcountry skiing and cycling gear. In addition they offer some rental equipment, more geared to mountaineering.

www.secondascent.com

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Hotel Ballard
Hotel Ballard
306 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothing, equipment

One space/weight saving strategy that served us very well when we cruised to Alaska was the two piece version of the Comlumbia Sportwear jackets. Zip in fleece lining inside a waterproof (mostly) nylon shell. Very versitile...fleece alone if cold but dry, shell alone if warm enough and wet and both together for cold/wet of cold/windy. Having the fleece part eliminated packing more than one sweatshirt.

On the binoculars decide in advance what you will use them for...whale spotting, scenery or land wildlife. For whales and scenery wider wiew field with less magnification is better. For picking out individual animals on shore from a distance then magnification rules. For weight saving (because good binoculars weigh more) it might be a cood compromise to only have two pair and share...one wide field and one high mag.

Don't stress a lot on the clothing...mix and match layers can do the job just fine. Especially with the right outerwear. One handy item to buy in Seattle would be waterproof pants....good not only for wet but also for windy ship decks. I took a very cheap, almost disposable pair, that worked very well. Other local items...stocking caps (that stay in better in wind) and light weight gloves.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
9. Re: clothing, equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 13:16