We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

Hi,

My wife & i are spending 5 days in Seattle mid october,any help on what the weather will be like is much appreciated & whether a big coat will be required?

Regards,

John

Level Contributor
377 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

Hi John,

I am in Seattle now and it's gorgeous. According to my guidebook the maximum temp in Oct is 60 degrees fahrenheit or 15.6 degrees Celsiuswhichever you go by. I know right now I need a fleece jacket in the mornings as it's in the 5O'S F and has been in the high 7o's during the day. In Oct they get about 3 inches of rain. I find dressing in layers is best for me no matter where I go. You may need that coat. I would bring it. Hope this helps.

Maria

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Many thanks Maria,we will bring the coats with the hope that we dont need them !

John

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

I am not sure you need a "BIG" coat. But always a waterproof jacket in Seattle. Layering is key. Fleece is a standard here because it is good for shedding light rain and keeping the chill off. I use a lightweight rain jacket (Marmot or North face- type) year round.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

You don't need a big parka. Just bring a fleece jacket and a rain shell, the type that can be taken apart (warm and rainy? rain shell, Cool and only misting? fleece, Cold and raining? both)

Don't bring any type of down jacket because they aren't warm when wet and they also smell funny when wet!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

You never need a "big coat" in Seattle. I don't even own one. Today I'm still wearing t-shirt, capris, sandals, and a light linen jacket from summer-time. By mid-October I'll expect to be into a heavier sweater but probably not my winter coat yet.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Many thanks for all your help,we arrive 3 weeks on saturday so hope the weather stays fine till then.

regards,

John

7. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 14:19