We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pacific coast highway

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
pacific coast highway

HI Everyone,

I'm planning to go on an Alaskian cruise in Aug 2009 and afterwards want to drive with my husband from Seattle to LA, California. I'd like to try to do it in 10 days to 2 weeks. Any advice on where to stop along the way- we're walkers, not hikers and love nature, open air markets, quaint towns to stroll through and fabulous views. Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pacific coast highway

You could hit some of my favorite travel destinations -- Astoria and Portland in OR and San Francisco and little Pacific Grove in CA.

A suggestion: why don't you post your same message on the Oregon and California forums. You'd get more feedback, I think.

Level Contributor
35,953 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pacific coast highway

Of course there is Pike Place Market right in Seattle, Portland has the Saturday market which runs on both days of the weekend and in Astoria, about two hours from Portland is the Astoria Sunday market which is great fun. Astoria is a quaint town with a lot of history and charm, there are musuems to visits, historic Victorian homes and and a little riverfront trolley that is fun to ride. www.oldoregon.com Have fun on your trip! :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pacific coast highway

So much to see here...

Here is an Inside Page with a route option with Seattle as a base; the time requirements are up to you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28968-c93928/Washing…

Re: San Juan Islands:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Re: Whidbey Island (part of trip first mentioned, above):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Don't be intimidated by the ferry system; arrive early, board, for the most part. The exception, and requires being early, is the ferry to/from San Juan Islands.

The best coastal drive (probably in the US, is the Oregon coast. I'd allow two full days.

A fascinating stop, southbound on I-5, is Mt. St. Helens, our active volcano, with extremely well done visitor centers, especially at the top.

Much to see and to do in Seattle; see other posts for lists. And, Things to Do tab in the left hand column.

Days are very long in summer, so you will have lots of time to enjoy things here.

This is just a "starting point"; others will chime in.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pacific coast highway

Oh what a marvelous holiday you'll have! Here is an excellent website to help you begin to plan your journey. You can use the place names on the left column to get close ups of the map sections.

roadtripusa.com/routes/…pacificcoast.html

Here is a good website for the Oregon coast:

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

The big cities are inland, not on the coast. I'd allow for at least three days on the Oregon coast, two more to get to San Francisco, then two to three in between SF and LA.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pacific coast highway

60 miles south of Seattle is Olympia, the capitol of Washington State. We have a beautiful capitol campus with flower gardens. You can take a guided tour of the Legislative building. The state capitol museum is three blocks from the capitol campus and down town is four blocks. We have the second largest farmers market in Washington State that will be open Thursday-Sunday in August. The market and our down town is right on the water. We have numerous restaurants on the water, walking paths and a great park (Priest Point Park) only a few miles from down (also on the water). Olympia is a friendly place and we would love to have you stop by and visit.

6. Re: pacific coast highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 08:18