We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from Australia late March '09

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from Australia late March '09

We are arriving from LA on the Coast Starlight train sometime late March, early April.

We are from Sydney Austalia, in our 50's.

My husband has some business in Kent, so wondering how far away it is from Seattle.

We won't be hiring a car , so wondering where to stay in the city, mid - upper price range, near some shopping.

Any suggestions are welcome.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Kent is south and east of the airport so maybe 15 miles or more from downtown. Public transport isn't all that easy to Kent, but depends on where the firm is your husband needs to visit. If you tell me where you need to be I could advise you better. If you stayed near Southcenter Mall you would be a lot closer but not as convenient for sightseeing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Another option is to stay in downtown Seattle and take the Sound Transit light rail to Kent. The train doesn't run that often, but it will get you to Kent fairly quickly. Here's the schedule: http://www.soundtransit.org/x1317.xml

The train leaves Seattle from 3rd & Jackson which is close to our football stadium in Pioneer Square. One option is to stay closer to Pike or Pine Street where there are loads of places to shop and then your husband could hop on a free bus for a 5-10 minute ride to the train station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Thanks for the info.

We were given a hotel brochure from our travel agent with Holiday Inn Express City Centre Executive Hotel Pacific & The Warwick........any thoughts on these.

What about hotels near the water/marina...decent water views.

Are the Silver Cloud chain hotels good options?

Also any thoughts /recommendations ( scenic drive stops etc ) on driving to/from Seattle to/from Lethbridge Alberta as I have a cousin there who might do the drive.

Thank you again.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

if you click on my name you can read inside page on where to stay in Seattle. Holiday inn is near Space Needle. Warwick and Executive are right downtown. You could help us give you ideas of we knew where your hubby has to be in the morning. Driving to AB in winter is still sort of iffy. Most downtown hotels won't have a great water view unless you stay on an upper floor and face west or face Lk Union. Silver Cloud is a good chain but downtown hotels arent' all that convenient. They are downtown but not as central as Warwick would be.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

My husband has to go to Pacific Highway South, Kent.

I think he will probably just catch a taxi there.

I was kind of hoping the weather in early April would be OK for the drive.....no snow anyway, but know it can be pretty unpredictable.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Pacific Hwy south is the same street as the Seattle Airport. You might be better off staying near seatac and taking a bus into downtown to sightsee. A cab would be $45-60 from downtown each day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Thanks yes I checked it on a map..........19 miles from downtown & a 25-35 minute drive.

The thing is we are coming in on the Coast Starlight train so staying downtown would be better than near the airport.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

yes, but you could get off in Tacoma and be closer to kent than arriving in Seattle. Getting to hotel isn't the issue, but the commute to get to where your husband needs to be will be very expensive if you stay downtown.

Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Another option.

If you are staying at a downtown hotel you could take bus #194 from any bus tunnel station. The bus will then deposit you at SeaTac airport right on Pacific Hwy South (actually about 100 yards from it)from whence you can take a short cab ride (if the address is a short distance) to your business destination. These buses run every half hour to and from the airport. The current fare is $1.75 each way. Its a 30 minute ride. Look for the bus that says SeaTac Airport #194.

Have a great time in Seattle.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming from Australia late March '09

Hopefully you have an expense account for the taxi rides! Staying in Seattle would be much better for you, as there is a lot to do while he is down in the SeaTac area working. There is not much for you to do in Seatac.

I guess you could taxi over to South Center Mall, Ikea, and the Ranch 99 Market, but Seattle would be MUCH more fun.