We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

We are going to be in Seattle March 21-25. We have plans to take the Clipper to Victoria for an overnight stay that would allow us to see the Gardens and downtown. We knew we were risking some chilly, damp weather, but the forecast is now calling for cold temps, definite rain, and the possibility of snow. I know the gardens are beautiful, but if we are cold, wet, and miserable, I am not sure the cost and time will truly be worth it. I am looking for advice on these options--or other suggestions. (We are a middle-aged couple traveling with our 17 year-old son; I should probably mention that we do NOT enjoy shopping so that is not really an option for us.)

1. Stay in Seattle (this is our second visit) and add some indoor activities.

2. Take Amtrak to Vancouver instead and look for indoor activities. I have not researched Vancouver at all and would need ideas here.

3. Take the Clipper to Victoria but skip the gardens. Replace that with more indoor venues or a long, scenic drive which might be hampered as well by the weather.

4. Great ideas generated by TA posters.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Suzy

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

not sure where you're getting your info but i'm also driving to Seattle (from Spokane) next Sat and I just checked weather.com and saw temps after wednesday are in the 50's and mid 50s.. .won't be snowing in those temps.

then again anything more then 2 or 3 days out really isn't that predictable.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

The forecast I mentioned is for Victoria, BC from the Weather Channel, wunderground, and several others. That is the leg of the trip I am concerned about.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

I think a few of your ideas could work regardless of weather...

Going to Victoria on the Clipper but just staying in the little downtown area and poking around indoors there.

Staying in Seattle and finding indoor things... Aquarium, Seattle Art Museum, Frye Museum, Underground Tour, etc.

I don't think the train to Vancouver would really be any more pleasant of an option. because you'd still be stuck in an urban area, walking around in the cold rain!

Today it is raining, gray, and cold. But we did have a couple more mild sunny days earlier this week. Seattle is impossible to predict the weather, even day to day!

-suze

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

Welcome to the Northwest. I'd stick to the plan. Dress appropriately (of course). You won't melt. :-)

If a monsoon moves in, you can have tea at The Empress or a beer at the Sticky Wicket, among others. Otherwise you'll have the quintessential PNW March day. Upside if it rains: fewer tourists.

You're not in Kansas anymore, enjoy,

chuck.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

I agree with Pala. We were in Victoria this same time frame a couple years ago and it was very cold the day we visited the gardens. They are stunning though so you quickly forget about the weather!

The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is excellent and worthy of a full day. Even with our teens we spent almost an entire day there.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

Sounds like we should stick to the plan. Thanks to all!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

victoria usually gets better weather than Seattle. Where the gardens are can be better weather than Dowtown Victoria. They do have free unbrellas.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

If you go to Victoria, and I think you should just go with the (rain) flow, don't forgo the Buchart Gardens.

9. Re: Forecast might call for some last-minute changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 03:19