We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United vs Northwest

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
United vs Northwest

Hi all,

i'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question. i'm flying from Singapore to Seattle, and am tryin to decide between United Airlines (UA) and Northwest Airlines (NWA). which airline is better? (e.g. no missed connections, on-time, personal tv, average service and food)

Additional info:

Both flights involve a stopover at the Tokyo Narita airport. I have not flown either airline before, and the price differential is about $200 (UA cheaper than NWA).

thanks in advance!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United vs Northwest

if you don't get an answer consider posting this on flyertalk.com

as that site is geared for frequent flyers and your more likely to get an objective comparison.

seattle
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United vs Northwest

We flew Seattle to Narita and back last year on United. We flew Economy Plus on the flight over and regular coach on the return. Seating in Economy Plus was more comfortable, and regular economy was not uncomfortable. They were pleasant flights. On time departures and arrivals, food OK, and decent individual entertainment screens. Judging from our experience on NWA to and from Honolulu, I would go with lower price if comparing United and Northwest since they seemed similar overall. If United, I would also check into Economy Plus for a bit more comfort in Economy class on those long flights. I'm assuming from your post that you are not looking at Business or First.

The information you are after is distributed over several sites such as the following. As Daviddmg suggested, flyertalk.com is a good place to get more comments on your query. Also, Tripadvisor's Japan forum and Airlines/Air Travel Forum may be useful. The japan Forum will target many who have transited through Narita. For airline ratings and passenger reviews, go to http://www.airlinequality.com. Both United and Northwest are rated 3 stars there. For information on seat configurations and amenities for specific plane models flown by different airlines, go to http://www.seatguru.com.

I hope this helps. Have a good trip...

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United vs Northwest

hi davidgmg and cicimo,

thanks very much for the replies and information. i decided to go with UA bcos NWA is so much more expensive. cicimo, did you pay more to check into Economy Plus? or did you just request for that upon check-in?

Also, i'm not sure if there's anyone who could help me out with this - i would like to visit the San Juan Islands in summer, but the Victoria Clipper is not available to travel from Seattle to SJI this summer. I don't have a car, and i'm trying to find other ways to get to SJI, which is very frustrating at the moment.

From Seattle, i could catch a train to Bellingham, but that would mean that i would miss the ferry from Bellingham to SJI. is Bellingham worth a night's stay? any faster way I can get to Bellingham?

I can also choose to go to Anacortes, but because i don't drive, i can't seem to find any other way to get there. i've tried Amtrak, Greyhound and WSF but none of the above fits me. Do i have any other options?

thanks in advance!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United vs Northwest

Fly via Seaplane on Kenmore Air. It should cost about $200 (your savings btwn UA and NWA), you can fly from Lake Union, very convenient to downtown or Boeing Field, also convenient.

http://www.kenmoreair.com/

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United vs Northwest

you can take bellair charter which will shuttle you from downtown or Seatac to anacortes.

seattle
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United vs Northwest

United's Economy Plus is an upgrade within the Economy class, so a charge is applied unless you are already subscribed through their Annual Option program. You can select and pay online for an upgrade when you purchase your ticket or later. Or, purchase the upgrade at the gate as we did. One thing to keep in mind is that the upgrade is for better seats and leg room, not services, unlike premium economy class for some other airlines. You can find details about United's program on their web site.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United vs Northwest

Here's an Inside Page on the San Juan Islands:

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United vs Northwest

hey guys,

thank you so much for all the information! i decided to go with the bellair airport shuttle to get to SJI, seems like the best way cos Kenmore is a little over my budget.

cicimo, i think i'll hold on wrt the economy plus upgrade for now. i had a bit of a discussion with the UA people regarding my meal plan and was wondering whether is it me or just the UA service. apparently i can only request for a vegetarian meal and not a non-beef meal. i've made the request (for a non-beef meal) on other airlines before and did not have any problems but UA said it was not possible to cater to my request.

anyway, anyone has any comments about captain carli's whale watch? is it true that a smaller tour is more conducive? cos only captain carli and maya's whale watch have small tours, but there aren't a lot of reviews on captain carli..

9. Re: United vs Northwest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 05:20