We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Outside of Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mass
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Staying Outside of Seattle

Hi!

I am looking for recommendations of places to rent a house outside of Seattle for a week-long vacation. We'd like to stay outside of the city, but not further than an hour drive or so from it. We are thinking of Gig Harbor or Tacoma. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I think we are looking for a place that has a little town, and is still accessible to the city, Olympic National Park, and so on. Thanks for any suggestions!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

You might consider Port Townsend, but only if your visit will be after mid-June. The Hood Canal bridge is being replaced right now, and the Olympic Peninsula is much harder to reach. It now takes about four hours to reach Port Angeles, which is the gateway to the park, from Seattle. After mid june, the bridge will be back in operation.

PT is about an hour from Seattle and about anhour and a half to an hour and forty five minutes from Hurricane Ridge. Add an extra two hours to reach the Hoh Rain Forest.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

Tacoma -- not a little town. Gig Harbor -- more than an hour to Seattle.

When are you coming to the area? You could stay in Poulsbo on the peninsula, with access to Seattle by the Bainbridge ferry. This would only be a good idea if you are coming AFTER the Hood Canal bridge reopens in mid-June of this year.

Port Townsend would be possible, and a great place to stay, but is over an hour to the city.

Mass
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

Thanks for your replies!

As you can tell, I've never been to the Northwest before, so I'm not sure what's close/reasonable.

We're coming in the end of July, so I will look into both of your suggestions. Thank you so much!!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

on the news yesterday they said the car charge on the ferry would be $29 r/t so factor that in if you choose to stay on an island. Walk on fares are way way less so thats an option always.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

Would you mind saying why you seek a house, and any ideas for your itinerary and places you wish to see? You mentioned ONP, but how much time in the City itself?

The reason I ask is, there are many locations where you might find a house, but your earlier selections are not good ones, understandably, as you don't know the area, but we are left guessing as to your actual needs and intent. Meaning to be helpful...

Mass
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

Sure, our interests are that we'd like to go to Seattle for maybe 2-3 days (how much time do you think is necessary to "get a feel for it"?), go to to the San Juan Island, go to Olympic NP. There are four of us-Myself and my husband (26 and 27), my mom, and my little brother who is 12. We are interested in nature and wildlife, things like farmer's markets, zoos for my little brother, nature walks, and are hoping to go on a whale watch.

Thanks again! :)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

www.vrbo.com

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

That information helps. For starters, in a week, and with all there is to see, the San Juan Islands are out. Takes time to get to ferry, to island, and back, at least a full day and you'll be running all the time.

Instead, I'd go to Whidbey Island, described below:

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

I understand why, with the family, a house rental makes sense for you, as a base. So, you might consider the following Inside Page which provides options for self drive itineraries in the Seattle Region, along with important websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c112037/Seattl…

A fun trip is ferry to Bainbridge Island; explore the little town, perhaps other places there like the winery, return to Seattle. Wonderful scenic views and, if returning at night, extra special.

gonorthwest.com/Washington/puget/Bainbridge/…

You might study this ferry schedule, but in the end, you simply show up, pay at the ticket booth after saying your destination, line up for the next ferry, and enjoy.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Two other trips suggested below. These are essentially whole day trips. You can do one, not both, in a day. If weather foggy, you might pass. Go to the websites for current weather and visibility conditions.

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

Mount Rainier National Park http://www.nps.gov/mora/

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

I agree about Whidbey Island. That would be ideal.

Mass
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying Outside of Seattle

Thank you for all your help. I am wondering if this itinerary makes sense to those of you who know the area. We arrive on 7/20, rent a car and then drive to Port Angeles where we will stay for three nights allowing us to explore that area, including Olympic National Park, Hoh Rain Forest, Port Angeles, and Sequim. Then we take the ferry to Victoria to stay one night there. For the last three nights, we could then return to Seattle for the remainder of our trip and see the sights there. Does this sound unreasonable considering our time frame? If so, we could just base ourselves in Seattle and explore from there and forget about the Olympic Peninsula. It is just that we don't know when and if we will ever see the area again, so we want to see as much as we can without wiping ourselves out. Please help. Thanks.