We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

We actually flew into Seattle on Wednesday, May 20th, but then immediately drove to Portland, OR, so I'll post that part of our trip on the Portland forum.

We got into Seattle from Portland on Saturday around noon. We were staying at the Hotel Andra downtown, so when we were about 30 minutes away I called to see if we could check-in early. They said they had a room available for us when we got there.

Trying to find a place to park on the other hand around the hotel that was not $30 a night was not possible. We ended up parking in a garage across the street that was going to be $25 a night, but then realized that they wouldn't open early enough the next morning for us to get our car to take on a ferry, so we had to move the car to the Warwick Hotel parking garage and pay $30 for a night.

After we parked, we walked over to the hotel to check-in, and they ended up giving us a suite, when we had only requested a queen studio room. YES! The room was very spacious and very comfortable, with a large couch and chair in a living room area with a large flat screen tv. We had a bar area, but didn't dare to eat or drink anything, because a bag of m&m's were $3 and a bottle of water was $3.50. There was a Walgreen's down the street from the hotel where we bought a case of water and then just kept it in our room. The amenities were nice, except the pillows were very very soft. I felt like I didn't even have a pillow. The room also got a little stuffy in the middle of the night and we couldn't get it to cool down. Other than that, the hotel was fine.

We dropped off our bags and headed straight to Pike Place Market. Bad idea. By this time it was around 1:30 and the place was packed. You could barely walk anywhere. If you don't like crowds, this would not be the time to try to go here. We walked around for about an hour trying to find a place to get some lunch and ended up at Beecher's Homemade Cheese. We had smoked turkey panini's which were amazing and homemade mac and cheese. It was great!

After we ate, we headed back to the hotel to rest and change. We were going to the Mariner's game that evening, so before we left we ate dinner at Serious Pie. We had the Cherry Bomb pepper and fennel sausage pizza. Again amazing!! We thought we were going to take the bus to Safeco field, but after getting to the bus stop and seeing how many people were waiting, we decided to just try to walk. There were so many people that were walking to the game, so it was actually a nice experience, walking to the game with all the fans. Walking back wasn't so bad either. It was about a mile and 1/2 each way, but we hadn't seen that part of the city yet, so we didn't really care. After the game we went to Lola at Hotel Andra for drinks and had hummus and red pepper spread with pita wedges. So good!

Next day... in another post.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

Next day...The next morning we got up early, ran to one of the many Starbuck's around town, and drove to the Bainbridge Island Ferry. The ferry that we got on left at 7:55, so it was still pretty foggy and we weren't able to get any really good pics of the city at that time, but we did when we came back. Once we got to Bainbridge we had a little extra time to kill before our 10am reservation at Bloedel Reserve, so we just drove around the island and looked at all of the gorgeous houses around. At 9:45 we arrived at Bloedel Reserve and checked-in with the gate keeper at 10am. It took us almost 2 hours to walk the entire trail, and the entire park was absolutely breathtaking. We took so many good pictures here. It was a perfect day, 65 degrees and sunny.

We then headed back to the ferry to catch the 12:20 ferry back to Seattle. It was a little chilly on the ferry, but we took some great pictures of the city and of the mountains from the top deck. When we got back to Seattle, we walked around the waterfront and over to Pacific Place mall. We then decided to run back to the hotel change our shoes and we were going to brave it and walk to the space needle. It wasn't too bad of a walk. We walked down 2nd avenue through Belltown and were able to see all of the boutiques and galleries in that area.

When we got to Seattle Center we realized the Northwest Folk Life festival was going on. There were people everywhere! It was really great to see all of the culture there in one place. So many people playing music. I loved it! We headed over to the Space needle and decided that we weren't going to take the $32 ride up to the top, because we'd already taken so many pics of the skyline and the mountains on the ferry.

After walking around here we walked back to the hotel to change for dinner and stopped back at Lola for a couple before dinner drinks. We ate dinner at Elliott's Oyster House. Absolutely fantastic! I had the Wild Salmon Wellington. Delicious! My husband had a whole chilled Dungeoness Crab. Both were so good. We also had crab and shrimp artichoke dip, and a bowl of salmon bisque. Both wonderful. Too much food for us, so we had to take some back to the hotel with us. Went back to the hotel and went to bed around midnight.

We were woken up at 4:20 on Monday morning with a wake-up call, and then again at 4:30. This was frustrating, because we didn't ask for a wake-up call. We called down to the front desk and told them, and they said that it was left on from the person who stayed there before us and that it wouldn't happen again, but we were already awake at 4:30. It was difficult after that to get back to sleep. We got out of bed and packed up around 7:30.

We wanted to get to Pike Place early, and try to walk around without so many people there. At 9am we had breakfast at Crepe de France. It was ok. Not my favorite meal of the trip, but decent. My husband really like his apple cinnamon crepe. I had the ham, spinach, and ricotta cheese crepe. After breakfast we walked around Pike Place for a while, and then decided to go back and get our bags and head to the airport.

We had to return our rental car at Dollar and take the shuttle back to the airport terminal. Dollar rental car was great! We asked for a small economy car and they upgraded us to a small SUV for free. We also called and extended our reservation 2 days, and it wasn't a problem at all. We got to the airport in plenty of time.

We had a fabulous time in Seattle and would love to come back to the area again soon! I was pleasantly surprised at how pet-friendly the whole city is. We saw dogs everywhere. It was a great trip!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

I appreciated your trip report as we'll be heading to Seattle ourselves in five weeks.

Level Contributor
36,346 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

Sounds very fun, we just spent the weekend in Seattle at the Fairmont Olympic which was amazing, we enjoyed the market early yesterday am after breakfast at Cafe Campagne. I'll try to do a trip report of our time there later this week, we are in Seaside now enjoying the beautiful weather on the Oregon Coast. :)

4. Re: Trip Report 5/23 - 5/25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 07:23