We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

Saint Paul
2 posts
Save Topic
From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

We are coming up from Portland on Amtrak, arriving on a Sunday evening and need to get to SEATAC to rent a car (will be returning it to the airport when we leave). It looks like the best option is to get off at the Tukwila station and take a taxi to SEATAC? Is there any likelihood that there will be taxis hanging out on a Sunday evening at the Tukwila station? Or can someone recommend a local reliable taxi company (and phone number) that we can call when we get to the station?

Thanks!

Rachel in Saint Paul

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,980 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

there is no 'station' at Tukwila, just a stop on the tracks. Its used for commuter rail and Cascades train only. Why not get a rent acar in Tacoma? Much bigger station and more chances of finding a rent a car open. Seatac charges a lot more for rentals. Any chance of spending the nite then picking up a car in downtown Seattle? Also Hertz will have a car at the Seattle station if you reserve it that way.

Saint Paul
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

We are coming up by Amtrak, staying in Redmond for 3 nights, and then leaving by air from SEATAC. Renting a car from the airport seemed easiest, since that is where we have to drop off the car, and because they are staffed even late at night on a Sunday for a pickup. So we can get off of Amtrak in Tacoma, Tukwila or Seattle and it seemed like Tukwila was the closest to the airport. I suppose we could take a taxi from either the Tacoma or Seattle stations to the airport, if there is no way to get a taxi from Tukwila. Is there a reliable local taxi company that we could call from the train to meet us at Tukwila, since it sounds like there certainly won't be any waiting at the station?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,980 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

call this Hertz office for more info

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/index.jsp…

I only know Seattle cab firms and while they will pick up in Tukwila they aren't based there. There is a Marriott Courtyard and Embassy Suites close by. Perhaps they may recommend a cab company. I'd try to rent at Hertz at Amtrak first.

seattle
Level Contributor
661 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

Also, you don't have to pickup and dropoff the rental car at the same location. An option is to arrange for pickup at a downtown location and dropoff at SEATAC. For some like Hertz, it looks like you can arrange to have the car at AMTRAK through the downtown rental office. The other option is to taxi to the downtown rental office for pickup and dropoff at SEATAC.

Tacoma
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

He is coming in the evening.

So unless he checks the operating hours of the rental car company, he is better off getting the car at the airport.

I suspect their will be some cabs at the Tukwila station, but to be sure reserve one by calling ahead.

I would try the yellow pages online under Renton or Tukwila.

dexknows.com/local/…

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,980 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

until you know which train it is I would never assume a cab would be at Tukwila. Only the Cascades train stops there, not the Coast Starlite. Since there is no 'station' in Tukwila it is rare for anyone to get on or off there except for commuters.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

Speakig from experience, I would definitely not risk being stranded at the Tukwila "station". It is a bus shelter next to a sketchy parking lot in the middle of nowhere. The cost to get a cab out there would be almost the same as taking one from the Seattle station back out to SeaTac. There are always cabs at the king street station and you don't risk getting stranded in god-awful Tukwila.

8. Re: From Tukwila Amtrak to SEATAC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:18