We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

I will be working in the Bothell area for 9 days in mid-July. This is my first visit to the Seattle area, and I will have a car. The first 5 days I'll be on my own, then joined by other staff for the rest of the trip. I'm looking for suggestions for after work attractions/activities, plus something to do over the weekend. Anything ideas to get out of the hotel for the few hours at night would be appreciated. The one activity I have tentatively planned is going to Pikes Market on Saturday, and possibly doing one of the tasting tours.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

What days are you here in July? Are you looking for things to do by yourself and then with the group?

One of my favorite things to do on summer weekends (F-S-S) is to attend one of the many summer celebrations/arts events. Almost every community has one depending on your dates.

For example the Bite of Seattle is July 17, 18, 19 or the biggie Bellevue Arts Fair is July 24, 25, 26.

Our local parks have an outdoor Shakespeare in the Parks program - it's free - and you will find shows nearby in Redmond (or Seattle or Mercer Island, often on weekday nights.

http://www.greenstage.org/2009/Summer

http://www.seattleshakespeare.org/woodeno/

Near Bothell in Redmond is Marymoor Park, which runs a very popular summer concert series and outdoor movie festival, not to mention plenty of walking trails. kingcounty.gov/recreation/…marymoor.aspx

Also near Bothell, the Woodinville Wineries are worth a visit, esp once your staff arrives. Chateau Ste. Michelle has a terrific summer concert series. http://www.ste-michelle.com/events/concerts

The pub/outdoor deck at the RedHook Brewery in Woodinville is one of my favorite spots on a summer evening. Watching the hotair balloons rise over the valley is a glorious site. The last Brewery tour is at 5pm.

From Bothell, it is a fun day trip to take the Mukilteo ferry and the 15 minute ride to Whidbey Island. From there go to the town of Langley on the south-end of the Island. I can spend the better part of the morning poking around the shops and art galleries. You can then explore the rest of the Island or just head over to one of the beaches on the West side of the Island and go for a lovely beach walk. If your dates work, the Choochokam Arts Festival is July 11 & 12 in Langley.

http://www.choochokamarts.org/

Kirkland is an eastside community on the Lake that is perfect for an after-work summer walk, grab a take-out-bite to eat (there are oodles of restaurants) and enjoy a picnic at the Lake. Every Thursday and Friday in July the retail stores are open until 8pm. Plenty of shops and galleries to explore. Kirkland "Uncorked" featuring wine and artists in action is July 13-15. The Kirkland Art Walk is the 2nd Thursday of the month - July 12, with the galleries open til 9pm that day.

That should get you started. Let me know if you need more options. I am happy to help.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

Another option in Redmond is a mixed-use shopping center, Redmond Town Center. There, in addition to the shops and restaurants, you will find the Big Picture Show, a movie theater that offers big plush seats, cocktails, servers and is a 21 and over venue. Pretty nice to chill out and enjoy a movie. (they also have a Seattle location).

http://www.thebigpicture.net/movies/

shoreline
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

CHOKE ANOKA.....sorry, i went to N St Paul high (polar).

Go to the NE from Bothell to Snohomish, classic NW logging town with a lot of antique shops now a days.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

Rent a bike and go for a ride. the Sammamish River trail connect Bothell with Woodenville and other bike paths. You can pick it up right in "downtown" Bothell at Bothell Landing or at the Sammamish River Park:

…nwsource.com/html/…2002134158_nwwbike30.html

In mid-July it is still light until 9:30 or so in the evenings.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

There is nothing Ugh about it!

From Bothell, you can go to the places mentioned and much more. Just make yourself a promise to get out there and see the area -- you have a lot of time.

Everything is close by from downtown Seattle to Snoqualmie Falls, It stays light late, so wait for rush hour to die down (no need after your coworkers arrive and you can team up to use the HOV lane) and get out there!

Third Place Books is something fun to bike to on the Burke Gilman west of Bothell.

Be sure to spend some time in Fremont and Bothell. If you like movies, check out Landmark Cinemas, the Northwest Film Forum (NWFF), and the Seattle International Film Forum (SIFF).

Check the calendars for Seattle Center, Seafair, and even the convention center downtown. Make sure you go on at least one ferry ride -- easy to do from downtown even on a day after work.

Promise not to watch TV in the hotel room after work -- set up your Tivo back home!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

Ooops -- meant Fremont and Ballard.

But Bothell has some nice things to do, too. There is a cute park on the riverfront (with feral chickens... they're not scary but cute), a nice bakery downtown, and the Yakima Fruit stand. Country Village north of town on Bothell Everett highway is worthy of a visit.

7. Re: Ideas for after work activities? 9 day wk trip in July-Ugh!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 07:18