We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle Itinerary - Oct

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norman, OK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Seattle Itinerary - Oct

We are planning our first trip to the Seattle area this October and in putting together our itinerary would love to get some of your expert advise.

We have five days/six nights in the area. We are arriving late Wed. night, 10/21 into Seattle. I was thinking we would stay downtown (maybe the Silver Cloud Inn?) for two nights and do the "without a car" type itinerary.

Then we were wanting to go to Anacortes for Friday night and walk onto the ferry to tour Friday Harbor and spend Saturday night in Victoria (any hotel suggestions there?) We plan to have a rental car, but if we park it at Anacortes we will have to return there and we would like to experience more of the area, like to Port Angeles or any other suggestion? Is there another option for transportation from Seattle to Anacortes without a rental car...not a big deal, just trying to get the most out of our time.

Also, if we are walking on the ferry can you help with how to handle luggage, etc. while touring Friday Harbor?

We will be touring the ONP area or maybe Whidbey Island. We need a suggestion for Sunday & Monday night...where to stay, what we shouldn't miss, etc. We leave Tuesday at noon.

We can do any of the above in any order, as we have not booked hotel reservations. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I have already learned so much from your previous posts.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

There no real need to leave your car behind. And if you don't, it solves several of your questions.

Come to Port Townsend, you'll love it.

Have a great trip,

chuck

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

I agree, in October there's really no need to park the car and walk on to the ferry.

Do check the fall schedule when it's available to make sure that the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney will stop at Friday Harbor for your onward trip to Victoria (it should but you want to confirm that)...and then you can continue on from Victoria to Port Angeles and complete the loop back to Seattle.

I'd explore Whidbey on your way to Anacortes if you do the loop outlined above.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

San Juan island is large and you will want a car there. Your adding a lot of ferry and travel time. For such a short trip why not just concentrate on ONP and Victoria plus Seattle?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

Just a point for your consideration, the middle of October is when the weather starts to change from nice to really rainy. You will want to pack appropriately.

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

Thanks for all the great replies!

It sounds like we should definitely take a car with us on the ferry. David, are you suggesting we not spend anytime in Friday Harbor? - I may be trying to get too much in such a short time.

As far as scheduling hotels to optimize our time there, right now we thinking Thur/Fri in Seattle, Friday in Anacortes, Saturday in Victoria. We'd like to stay the last two nights at one location - any suggestions on that?

I appreciate all you input. We will be expecting rain! We'd love to come in September, but kids, tax season and our schedules will not permit this time. So we are just coming when we can. We're really looking forward to it. Love the West Coast.

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

Oops, I meant to say Wed/Thur in Seattle - Fri in Anacortes...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

I'm not quite clear on your plans, but you seem to be trying to squeeze too much in.

I would spend the night somewhere in the San Juans rather than Anacortes. Shame to miss soaking up the Island experience as much as you can.

I'd suggest spending 2 nights on Orcas or San Juan Is. and one night Victoria. I think that works with your schedule.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

This is bare bones of itinerary we followed; maybe helpful in your planning....

DAY # 1 – FRIDAY, JULY 3

Sleep: Seattle / Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers (1400 6th Ave.)

Depart CLE @ 9 am; arrive SEA @ 11 am.

Gray Line shuttle (BOOKED/ticket for 2 printed)

DAY # 2 – SATURDAY, JULY 4

Sleep: Seattle / Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers

DAY # 3 – SUNDAY, JULY 5

Sleep: Friday Harbor/Yakima Suite-Ferry Landing Suites

Pick up rental car (noon @ Alamo/Hilton Hotel at 1301 6th Ave.)

Drive to Anacortes

Ferry Anacortes to Friday Harbor (departs 3:10pm arrives 4:15pm)

DAY # 4 – MONDAY, JULY 6

DAY # 5 – TUESDAY, JULY 7

DAY # 6 – WEDNESDAY, JULY 8

Sleep: Port Angeles / Azalea Suite-Colette’s B&B

Ferry Friday Harbor to Anacortes (departs 8:10 am; arrives 9:35 am)

Drive Anacortes to Keystone (1 hr.)

Ferry Keystone to Port Townsend (RESERVED/departs at noon; arrive before 11:30 am )

Drive to Port Angeles (2 hr.)

DAY # 7 – THURSDAY, JULY 9

DAY # 8 – FRIDAY, JULY 10

DAY # 9 – SATURDAY, JULY 11

Depart SEA @ 11 pm; arrive CLE @ 6:14 am

I've omitted info on restaurants and activities, but you can read my day-to-day trip reports if you want to know more. We didn't make it to Victoria but hope to next time.

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

I like the idea of staying in San Juan islands a couple of nights - any suggestions on the best location there?

Also, we're are looking at moving our dates up to Oct 7-13 so to hopefully get a little better weather :)

I was going with the assumption that the fall ferry leaves at ~8am from Anacortes? That is the only reason we were staying in Anacortes, due to the ferry schedule.

We are open for suggestions on time/transportation and what to see. We are thinking after the day in Seattle, we wouldn't want to miss Victoria and the San Juan islands. If driving from Seattle to Anacortes we could explore Whidbey and Port Townsend; then take ferry back from Victoria to

Port Angeles. Is this too much? Still needing a better plan on where to stay - Seattle 2 nights/ San Juan 1 nt/ Victoria 1 nt/ still have 2 nights left to figure out...?

This may not be reasonable - obviously I need help here! Thanks for the trip outline - I'll also read more about your trip. I am going to have to spend more time researching on this one.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle Itinerary - Oct

The ferries run all day at various times with various combination of stops and final destinations.

There's no real reason to waylay in Anacortes pending an early morning departure.