We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

We are being transferred to Seattle and will be making our first trip to visit next week. We are combining a house hunting trip and a vacation. The kids will be with us (boys 6 & 8) and I'm looking for suggestions for things we "must see" on our first visit to so we can all get excited about the move. We are looking at staying at the Residence Inn @ Lake Union, as we will be in town for 11 days and a kitchen will be necessary. Is this a good location to see the sites downtown? We will be looking at homes on the Eastside. If it matters, we will have a car. Thanks!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

go to www.googlearth.com and look the place over. Fun stuff is west of Lake Washington or Seattle area and eastside house hunting will be east of lake Washington. Housing is cheaper south of Seattle and east of Tacoma.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

I suggest you take a look at "Things to Do", left hand column, and start making a list.

Also:

Snoqualmie Falls

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

Options for self drive itineraries in the Seattle Region, with websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c112037/Seattl…

Will you be working on the east side? Traffic could be difficult if the job(s) are on the Seattle side of Lake WA.

Plenty of homes for sale, sadly, but good for you.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

I was thinking Woodland Zoo, Aquarium, Pike Place Market, Space Needle, Snoqualmie Falls and Mariner's game. Any suggestions on good restaurants that are kid friendly? We prefer to eat at local restaurants and few chains. Would they like riding the monorail? Job is in Federal Way, we are looking at houses in more areas than just the Eastside...Maple Valley, Issaquah, Gig Harbor and University Place, having a hard time deciding on an area. Thanks for the info!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

definitely look at the south end. Traffic on 405 is some of the worst in the state. Tacoma has gotten way better. There is train service now between Tacoma and Seattle so its easier to get around. Lots of places just north of Residence Inn on Eastlake south as Lk Union Grill, the original Red Robin, and Ivars salmon House on Lk Union. You have the streetcar at your front door that will take you into downtown.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

Federal Way is not really considered the Eastside. It is well south of Seattle. The Sounder train connects Tacoma to Seattle so it is possible to live away from there and commute to it, but you need to check the train schedule.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

Well, you might want to become acquainted with the attractions of the Eastside, if that's where you will be living. Some ideas:

Bellevue Botanical Garden

Downtown Kirkland (art galleries, lakeside park, boat tour to Bill Gates' house)

Rent kayaks at Houghton Beach Park (south Kirkland) or Enatai Beach Park (Bellevue under the I-90 bridge).

Mercer Slough Nature Park (jump up and down and feel the earth wobble)

Rent bikes and explore Marymoor Park in Redmond and the Sammammish River trail.

Lots of great hikes out east at Issaquah, North Bend, and Snoqualmie Pass. One favorite is Twin Falls:

wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/twin-falls-state-park

Snoqualmie Falls is major attraction of the state. Best viewing is in May, however.

Cougar Mountain Zoo in Issaquah. The caged cougars will prowl around and stalk your kids like they want to eat them.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

look at housing in the Bonney Lake area

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

Don't overlook Renton when you are house-shopping. One of the things we like about living in Renton is that we can go in any direction without crossing a floating bridge...they can be traffic nightmares.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

We hate freeways and have lots of ways to travel between Renton and FW. Our first option is Military Road to 320th. You've received some good suggestions...I might also add Edgewood (west side of the Kent Valley, which is bisected by 167), Pacific, Midway, and Kent. Can't quite fathom working in FW and living on the east side unless you just love traffic.

We find that we seldom go up to Seattle (all of ten miles) except for cultural events and sports.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Visit to Seattle...Help Please!

I agree with the above poster. I cannot fathom living on the eastside and commuting to Federal Way. Honestly, the only way I would ever consider living on the eastside is if I worked on the eastside, in Renton, or in downtown Seattle.

Seeing as you have never lived here I suggest the following:

1)Try driving to and from the work place to Bellevue during rush hour, just like you (or whoever is commuting) would have to.

2)Research how you would get to and from work via bus. You can do a trip planner on King County Metro's webpage. Or Soundtransit.org

Getting to the eastside is always more complicated than sticking to the westside in my opinion.

As for nice places - Auburn, Bonney Lake, Puyallup, Sumner, Renton would be my recommendations. I am not a huge fan of Kent, Federal Way, Des Moines, Burien, or Seatac. Though all those places have perfectly nice neighborhoods too.

Good luck!