We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

City Girl in South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

Hey there!

So my husband & I are planning our 2nd ann. trip to WA for the first time the end of September.

We are flying in from Charleston,SC and then planning on renting a car for our week stay.

We want to go to Forks first (Twilight fans) and then Seattle (since it'll be closer to the airport).

We are planning on trying to cram as much in as possible--beaches,restaurants,site-seeing,etc.

Suggestions on anything---where to stay, what to see, times to go, things to bring/not to bring, events going on...etc.?

Thanks!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

It'll take about 3.5-4 hours to travel from the airport to Forks, just so you know.

What type of places do you like to stay and/or what's your budget? If you're looking for nice romantic accommodations, Forks isn't the best place--I'd suggest staying closer to Port Angeles and doing a day trip out that way.

Knowing your interests other than Twilight would be helpful as far as making suggestions. You might start by reading a few of the many recent posts on Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula to get some ideas.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,612 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

Congratulations! You are going to be on the Olympic Peninsula at the best time of year. September is lovely and uncrowded.

I second NorthwestWanderer's description of Forks. It offers very basic lodging choices. However, the Quillayute Nation's Oceanside Resort is nearby, and it's even on First Beach, a pilgrimage site for Twilight fans. They offer cabins with fireplaces and kitchens right on the beach. The newest cabins are both romantic and luxurious, so if you decide to stay there, make sure you get one of the new cabins. The resort has a decent restaurant - stick with the local fish - as well, which is a plus since there are no good restaurants in Forks.

Port Angeles, which is one hour east of Forks, offers more lodging and dining choices, including Bella Italia, where Edward took Bella for their first date.

If you are interested in visiting Olympic National Park attractions as well as local farms and wineries, please have a look at www.kaleberg.com. You'll find lots of pictures and descriptions of places to see.

City Girl in South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

Hey! thanks for all the updates so far!

Saw a couple of B&B in Forks &are looking at that Oceanside Resort--but should we pretty much just visit Forks and not stay there?

My husband does Horticulture & I photography, we both love shopping,antiquing, site-seeing(including any cool animals that might be the forests or beaches),we are pretty much game for anything really

As far as where to stay, we aren't that picky as long as it's clean, w/a shower&bed & preferably close to a lot of points of interest

Def. wouldn't mind going to see the Quillayute* Indians--any ceremonies they might have.

Um. That's all I can think of-hope that helps!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

Though we aren't Twilight devotees ourselves (or "Twi-hards" as I heard our innkeepers call the fans who have flocked to the Olympic Peninsula in their fervor to retrace the lives of their beloved characters, Edward, Bella, et. al.), we noticed plenty of marketing to others like you. The Forks visitor center (we stopped en route to Hoh Rain Forest) can offer abundant information, and there's a company that offers guided Twilight themed tours through Forks and La Push for $39. (See http://dazzledbytwilight.rezgo.com/tour )

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

<<but should we pretty much just visit Forks and not stay there?>>

Pretty much.

You'll find the local First Nations' people less demonstrative here than you might be used to.

I would definitely follow up on Kaleberg's accommodation suggestion.

**hi pat**

chuck.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

SandyNSuzy, you can't go wrong with advice from NWW, KB and Chuck. They were wonderfully helpful as I researched for our vacation July 3-11. I'm just adding my two cents here as a fellow traveler and hope that will be a bit helpful, too.

If you're going to Bella Italia in PA, you definitely want to make reservations, and even then prepare for a wait according again to info from our innkeeper. We ate in PA across the street at Micheal's, but the best food we had in the area (other than our B&B morning feasts) was at Alder Wood Bistro in Sequim.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,612 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

Yes, Alder Wood Bistro is the best restaurant on the North Olympic Peninsula. I was there tonight for one of their Tapas Tuesdays, and it was great.

8. Re: Forks&Seattle anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 08:16