We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's going on with the weather?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
What's going on with the weather?

We are planning to be in Seattle Aug. 4 - 9 (my husband traveling from his job in Alaska -- I'm flying up from our home in Florida), and I can't believe it's 100 degrees today with a forecast of 100 tomorrow! It's not that hot here in FL -- although I don't think Seattle has the humidity.

What should I pack? I have my "Death Valley" wardrobe left from our spring break trip -- never thought I'd need it for the Pacific NW.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's going on with the weather?

I haven't ever been to Florida - but it's not as humid as say Oklahoma or New Jersey. But there is some humidity - it's muggy.

It's supposed to cool off next week and be in the eighties.

So just dress for warm to hot weather. bring a light jacket and an umbrella. It rained while the sun was out at my house a few days ago (it was also about 80).

The weather here is unpredictable from morning to night. It was hot and dry most of the day with no clouds in sight, but there is quite a lot ofugly clouds building up here in the South end (just as an example of how much it can change).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's going on with the weather?

I was just watching weather and monday is supposed to be back into the high 80's. Thats pretty normal for us. The problem is that is hasn't cooled off at nite. Its only 95 inside my house right now but it will be more normal weather when your here. Don't be surprised if we get real excited if it rains. Its been over two months.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's going on with the weather?

July 29, 2009 is a day that will be written about in Seattle weather history books for years to come. At 103 degrees this is the hottest day ever recorded in Seattle since records have been kept in 1891. I've read that the average high temperature on this date is 76 degrees. And we were surprised by a high of 88 when we were there July 3-5.

Tacoma
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's going on with the weather?

It's not that unusual for us to get a streak of 90 degree plus days during the last week in July and the first two weeks in August.

What's crazy is that there is a flash flood warning for parts of Washington state today. Now that's unusual!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What's going on with the weather?

If you're looking for a technical explanation, this blog is great:

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

He's a local UW expert on the weather. You have to read down a bit to get the explanation of what's happening, but it's pretty interesting...and rare, thankfully!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's going on with the weather?

I liked the blog comment --

<<Ballads will be written about the heat experienced today.>>

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's going on with the weather?

Not to worry--by next week our weather should be back to normal. It didn't get to 100º here today, and the forecast for the next several days is 85-90.

Seattle should be somewhat cooler--I live closer to Portland OR. We drove over to the coast this afternoon -- it was 67º and foggy at Long Beach WA.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's going on with the weather?

NorthTacoma, you might be correct as to the days, but I think that even those high temp days are rare. In any case, here is one table that shows averages/month:

weather.com/weather/…USWA0395

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's going on with the weather?

Thanks too for the blog link. Fascinating. Compressional heating is a well known culprit for high temps in Seattle area. Like what heats up Eastern WA but in reverse. One reason the storms blew up over the Cascade crest and caused flooding rain in narrow valleys.

I remember Seafair time almost always being very hot (back in the '60s)...especially while watching the hydroplane races on Lake Washington. A pattern of NE winds would lock in for a week or so. I remember from the early '60s (in Black & White of course) Bob Hale the cartooning weather guy on KING TV drawing pictures of the hot air slurping over the Cascades into Puget Soundland...as if the heat was coming from there. Back before downslope heating was more widely recognized.

I think someone got our weather orders switched. Record number of days in the 60s in MN and yesterday was a classic Seattle low dark gery clouds type of sky. One of the coldest (for us) Julys on record. Not one 90+ day in July when we should have had seven or more. My hunch is that the heat will shift east and Seattle will return to normal to cool by mid-August. El Nino is setting up for this Winter.

10. Re: What's going on with the weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:24