We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island for a two night get away?

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Island for a two night get away?

Husband and I visiting our son in Seattle at the end of September. We thought we would spend the weekend with him and then go to one of the Islands for a relaxing getaway. Any suggestions of which Island, place to stay and restaurants?

We heard the Islands were beautiful although we don't know that much about them.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

Our preference is for San Juan Island. You can take the inter- island ferry to visit others.

Here's an Inside Page to help acquaint you with various Islands and their features.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Since you will be here end of September, and weather less certain, SJ might be the best bet for variety of things to do. You might wish to bring rain gear, perhaps a nylon shell.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan Island
San Juan Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

And I'll put in a plug for my favorite island, Orcas ;-). I love SJI too, but Orcas is my favorite.

If the Cabin at Spring Bay has availability that's where I would suggestin staying for a nice relaxing getaway. The best restaurant on the island is Inn at Ship Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

go to www.googlearth.com and look them over.

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

Thanks for your input.

Browsing around the Seattle and other forums, a saw a suggestion to another traveler to go to Whidbey Island vs the SJI as Whidbey is easier to get to for only a 2 day side trip and that it has the same feel as the other islands.

Any opinions, comments?

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

I wouldn't say it has the same feel. But it is easier. You could visit worse places.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
726 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

I love Orcas. And enjoy staying at Doe Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

I agree that it might not "feel" like the other islands, but that's perhaps truer for those of us living here who have experienced the SJIs and Whidbey. It's a great option with much to see and to do, you won't be dissappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

<<Any suggestions of which Island, place to stay and restaurants?>>

As gastronomical tourists to the extent that some of our fondest vacation memories are related to food, my husband and I were very pleased with the options we tried during our three days on SJI. Backdoor Kitchen is the sort of gem that travelers dream of discovering... had a nasturtium martini and Mediterranean lamb sirloin marinated in red wine, garlic and herbs. At Steps Wine Bar and Cafe...imaginative and simply delicious food -- homemade spaghetti with Lopez Island clams and sauce of red pepper flakes, white wine, parsley and butter for my husband and a half-plate of roasted troll caught wild salmon over such a savory mix of butter beans, summer squash, corn, tomatoes and thyme for me. At Coho Tasting Special (appetizer, entree and dessert for only $35 per person)...such remarkable food -- a dab of salmon mousse on a thin circle of cucumber and topped with a bit of dill, tasty little seed-sprinkled pumpkin rolls, black and white sesame seed encrusted salmon with ginger sauce and a grilled rice cake and sautéed vegetables (embellished with a blue flower, which I ate), lovely crème brulee. Even lunch at a bustling artisan deli, Market Chef, where we shared the small front patio with several families and a lugubrious German short-haired pointer, was memorable; our hearty sandwiches were just scrumptious, mine an unusual curried egg salad with chutney and peanuts.

Mentioned in this post
Mediterranean Inn
Mediterranean Inn
1,638 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,425 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

I love Whidbey Island, and yes it's much easier to get to than one of the San Juans.

For the San Juans, everyone has their favorite, it's an impossible question to answer, I think :)

Mentioned in this post
new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island for a two night get away?

Thank you all for your responses.

Because we are only staying 5 nights, we decided to stick with one hotel in the Seattle area and go on day trips. The main reason for our visit is to see our son who is now living in the area. My son recommends our looking in the Capital Hill, Freemont or Ballard area for a place to stay.

Can anyone recommend a hotel, maybe a boutique-type in one of these areas? We are looking to spend about $125/night.

Thanks again for all your ideas. I love this website.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Hotel Ballard
Hotel Ballard
305 Reviews
Seattle, WA