We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need a car to see Seattle?

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need a car to see Seattle?

Don't have much $$ but just got two free SW awards - Seattle is on our list of place to go.

Can you enjoy the city without a rental car?

Just started looking so I haven't done alot of research just yet.

Thinking right now of staying at Shafer Baillie Mansion.

Thanks in advance for your assitance.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

You can indeed enjoy the city without a car, although it's easier if you stay downtown as more is within walking distance (but you can take a bus from Capitol Hill where the SB Mansion is to downtown).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

on right side of Seattle forum on faq's is a one day itinerary without a car. It will give you a good outline of things to do and see.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

I live a couple blocks from Shafer Baillie Mansion... I *LOVE* this neighborhood of Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park. It's very easy to get downtown on Metro bus (either the #7 that runs on Broadway (west of the B&B) or the #10 from 15th Ave East (just east of the B&B). There's loads of nice shops and restaurants easy walking distance to that location.

Flip side, is there's plenty of free street parking in this neighborhood, so a car is easier to deal with than if you were staying at a hotel downtown (with expensive parking rates).

If you "need" one, just depends on what is on your agenda to see and do. If it's mostly downtown, Capitol Hill, central parts of the city, you're fine without. If you want to get out into the countryside and surrounding areas, then it would be good to have (and save you taxi fare to and from the airport). ~suze

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

You'll have a great time without a car.

If you're set on the Shafer Baillie - that'll work just fine (as Suze said).

That aside, being in the core area of downtown puts you within a very easy walk of so much. While a bus ride - or taxi ride - gets you quickly downtown - it's not the same as knowing all you have to do is walk out the front door of your downtown hotel and you're within 10 minutes of so many of the Seattle must do/see's.

I'm a pretty big improviser when I travel, so I'd choose downtown to give me max. flexibility. But if you're a bit more structured (it'd be hard not to be), staying in such a relatively close neighborhood as Capital Hill - which has much on it's own worthy of a visit, particularly clubs and restaurants).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

(sheez, ... can't finish a thought) ... would be a good thing.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

Why I love my own neighborhood (and think it's great for tourists) is because it is very quiet, incredibly beautiful, with huge old mansions, and when you walk out your door there's huge trees lining the streets... it's very peaceful. None of that can be said for staying downtown (I work there every day, I know). Outside your door downtown is cement, traffic, noise, etc. Capitol Hill is only 2 miles from the downtown core, so it's hardly a long commute (haha).

~suze

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

downtown offers plenty to see and do for a short trip. a longer trip or leaving downtown necessitates a car, adequate public transport is available but you blow a lot of trip time sitting on buses or at bus stops.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

Thanks everyone for assisting me in getting my research started for this quick trip.

What month would you go? December, Jan, Feb? I know its winter but the break in winter will be good for my hubby I think.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

Thanks everyone for assisting me in getting my research started for this quick trip.

What month would you go? December, Jan, Feb? I know its winter but the break in winter will be good for my hubby I think.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you need a car to see Seattle?

Well, none of the above, really, but if those are the only options, then February.