We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodinville Reds

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Woodinville Reds

We will be in town mid December and thought we would enjoy some wine tasting. We prefer fruit forward reds particularly Merlots, Malbecs, Tempernillos, Pinot, Claret and Ports probably not all at the same tasting, (-: Any winery or web site suggestions?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodinville Reds

Januik Winery. It has a variety of reds, and the winery is beautiful. In general, WA State reds are high alcohol and fruit forward. You will probably notice strong bramble and berry notes in the wines. A few wineries are producing some tasty Malbecs and Tempernillos, but the state is best known for its Cabs (Claret) and Syrahs. If you can get over to Chatter Creek Winery, do so. They made some great Malbecs which they released last year. Unfortunately, they may be sold out . They had at least two nice Tempernillos as well.

I'll express my opinion here: WA is no good for Pinot Noir. You want Oregon for that, or, better yet, Burgundy.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodinville Reds

I agree with kaleberg. Januik is very good! It has been one of our favorite wines for about 8 years now.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodinville Reds

I assume you have been to the main Woodinville Website. We have enjoyed Januik (gorgeous building) too, and also DeLille, Betz, Mark Ryan, to name some of our favorites. But there are so many...

One of the best events of the Season is the Woodinville St Nicholas Open house, but I am thinking your dates may not quite coincide.

I would also recommend perhaps stopping at The Willows Lodge, and enjoy the wine flights in their Fireside Cellars Cafe. Purple, another wine cafe, in Woodinville is another good option. Both have exceptional cellars featuring local wines.

http://woodinvillewinecountry.com/

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodinville Reds

My SO and one of her sons imbibed among several wineries in the area, and enjoyed Janiuk, a lot as others noted, Effeste, Brian Carter, Ross Andrews, Book Walter and more... Very impressed. And a new 40 winery "center" will be opening near the Hollywood Schoolhouse. Sounds like a Healdsberg north.

5. Re: Woodinville Reds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 05:24