We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the Evenings

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in the Evenings

I will be staying in Seattle for a week in February to do some research. I'll be busy during the day but will have my evenings free. I'm not much of a club/bar person, and was wondering if anyone would have suggestions as to some things that would be fun/safe for a woman (possibly two women, if my fellow researcher wants to come) to do on her own. It would be great if there were a few suggestions of things close to the University of Washington as that's the area in which I will be staying. I've seen the Space Needle and Pike Place on other trips so other suggestions would be great.

I might also have one lone Saturday afternoon free, so any ideas of the very best thing to use that time for would be appreciated.

Also, any good (fairly casual) restaurants I should try in that neck of the woods?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in the Evenings

Lots to do in Seattle - but I will start with some options near the UW. Which hotel are you staying at? Will you have a car or will you rely on public transportation?

Meany Hall at the UW brings in fabulous performances and events. Check their calendar for your time period. I am quite fond of the UW World series, which features International performers in dance, music, piano and chamber music.

http://www.uwworldseries.org/artists.cfm

http://www.meany.org/

There are several classic, small movie theaters in the area including the Seven Gables, Guild 45th, Varsity, that often show independent, foreign films.

University Village is also close by. It is an open air shopping mall, but there are good, local restaurants within if you want to catch an easy bite to eat - I am fond of the Ram for burgers/salads/brews or Piatti or Zao Noodle Bar.

http://www.uvillage.com/

We all have favorite (cheap!) eats in the U District. Our family enjoys Thai Tom. Other friends love Shultzy's Sausage. But there are many good choices. Two other faves, are the Portage Bay Cafe on Roosevelt near the Watertown Hotel - more expensive, organic; and Aqua Verde Paddle Club - right on Lake Union, wonderful, organic Mexican & Margaritas.

http://www.portagebaycafe.com/

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in the Evenings

You'll be close to Ivars Salmon House in south Lk Union. Its a great place for authentic indian style salmon. It has a great view of the the city on the lake, with the space needle in the background. I'd always recommend that as a place for a good meal.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,845 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in the Evenings

Everything above pretty much has the U-District covered for you (great suggestions!). Woodland Park Zoo and Greenlake are nice out that way.

Not particularly convenient to where you're staying, but not too far either, there are museums... The Frye, SAM downtown, SAM Asian branch at Volunteer Park. Music and theater... Benaroya Hall, the Paramont, 5th Avenue, Triple Door, Jazz Alley, REP, ACT, ballet, symphony, opera, etc. The downtown Seattle Public Library is interesting for its architecture. Smith Tower observation deck at the Chinese Room, as an alternate to the Space Needle for a great city view. -suze

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in the Evenings

We also like Portage Cafe a lot. Other favorites in the district include Cedars Restaurant on Brooklyn (Indian and Middle Eastern) and Big Time Brewery for sandwiches and chili. A little more upscale is Bilbao tapas bar and restaurant, with live flamenco on Thursdays.

Seattle has excellent theatre companies with many located at the Seattle Center, which has good public transportation connections with the University District. Check on what's playing in February.

If you have an interest in aviation, consider the Museum of Flight for your free afternoon. An excellent "In Search of Amelia Earhart" exhibition will still be on in February and both the Air Force I used by Kennedy and a Concorde are on site to walk through.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in the Evenings

The University district also has a number of interesting movie houses. The Seven Gables, The Grand Ilusion, and lots more. Many are listed under Landmark Cinema / Seattle.

Pam's Kitchen is a noted restaurant for Caribbean cuisine. I've been to Bilbao lots of times. Be careful there as you can spend a lot of $ fast! The food's good though, and the music fun.

6. Re: What to do in the Evenings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2010, 06:16