We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Questions

South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Questions

I've never been on a ferry and wanted to have that experience in Seattle when we visit in March. Is there a short ferry ride that takes you somewhere you can do shopping or lunch/dinner and then take the ferry back without needing a car? On the ferry, if you don't bring a car, is there a place to sit, walk around or get a quick drink or bite to eat?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Questions

Now those questions we can answer. :)

This ferry fits your needs and provides a beautiful view of Seattle (and if clear enough, Mt. Rainier to the south, the Olympics to the west), coming and going - or, rather, going and coming. Walk on, walk the ferry decks (outside as well as inside, depending on your inclinations), walk off, walk about 3 or 4 blocks into town and dine. Return if you can on one of the later, dusk, ferries and watch Seattle lit up at night.

These are large ferries with lots of room to roam. They also have a cafeteria, but I'd opt for the view and ride, which is only about 30 minutes.

Go to the ferry terminal on the waterfront, upstairs, buy tickets, board when announced they are ready.

Ferry Routes and Schedules, WA State Ferries (Beautiful views, ride at least one, perhaps Bainbridge Island).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Bainbridge Island

gonorthwest.com/Washington/puget/Bainbridge/…

Edited: 27 February 2010, 23:26
South Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Questions

Thank you, that sounds wonderful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Questions

I agree. Bainbridge Island ferry fits everything you need. Plus it's a bargain at $6.95 (hope that's still correct) round-trip. I've usually done it during the day, had lunch on the other side, walked around a bit, then caught a ferry back. It's a bit of a walk up into the little downtown area, so allow yourself plenty of time to stroll back for the returning ferry. The ferries are *huge* with different levels, and lots of different places to sit or stand both indoors and outside, front, back, and side of the boat. -suze

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Questions

Just to note the other option from Seattle is to Bremerton. The ride is a little longer and more scenic though the narrow Rich Passage but the destination not a quaint as Winslow.

Taking a morning ferry over and after lunch back is great because the downtown workers are all going the other way - the ferry is almost empty. On the other hand returning at near sunset on clear days can provide some really cools views of the mountains as well as downtown lit from behind. Last time we were to Bainbridge Is. we had lunch at Doc's Marina Grill which was very good (great chowder) and had a nice view of the boats in the marina.

Level Contributor
36,364 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Questions

The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is very relaxing, you will have some beautiful views of Seattle from the water. I hope you have fun in Seattle! :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Questions

Great advice on Bainbridge!!!!! We've been to Seattle every year for the last 15 years and Bainbridge is one place we never miss! We have only taken a car on one trip because I enjoy the short walk from the ferry to the shops.

Can't say there's a whole lot of shops but it's just the feel of Winslow that is so inviting and it's always nice to grab a bite to eat while over there. If I remember correctly there are also bikes for rent when you get off the ferry.

We've been to Bremerton also but the ferry ride was longer and we didn't enjoy Bremerton quite as much as Bainbridge.

If you aren't from an area where there are ferries then just being on the ferry is entertainment enough. Since I'm a "people watcher" I actually enjoy going over during the times that people are coming/going to work. It just fascinates me that people take the ferry to work everyday! I think it would be a wonderful way of life! But... as my husband always says... we don't do that every day either! :-) Enjoy!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Questions

I suggest going late in the day so the city will be lit up on your return. In March, that would be returning after 7, in midsummer, returning after 10.

8. Re: Ferry Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:18