We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

Should I plan on taking I-5 or I-405? I'll be making this drive on a Friday evening around 6 p.m.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

I-5 unless its shut down then take 405 which is a longer route.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,525 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

405 is traditionally much more congested than I-5. If you take 5 and you have another person then you have a carpool lane all the way thru downtown and take the express lanes north to Everett.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

true but if I-5 is closed then its closed

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,525 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

an I-5 closure has been an extremely rare event.

Level Contributor
1,435 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

Thanks for your help. There will be two of us, so I guess we are a carpool!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

If there are two of you you are in good shape. Look for the diamond lanes marked HOV. They are usually free flowing anytime on 405, even when the other lanes are stopped.

Downtown Seattle can be tricky on I-5 going north right through downtown. You do want the express lanes going north, so watch for those signs and generally keep to the left so you don't have to do a lot of merging.

It can get congested north of the city as well. At that time of day I would take 405 because there is an HOV lane all the way from the airport to Lynnwood with no merging required. I've been stuck in traffic on I-5 more than on 405. I generally have passengers, and go to Everett frequently.

That said, I've seen the downtown skyline a lot. For you, just the chance to see the skyline might be worth going through the city. It is straightforward enough.

Edited: 11 March 2010, 07:33
7. Re: Advice About Driving Route - SEA Airport to Everett

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 06:16