We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rainier

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Rainier

This might be a dumb question but do tour companies drive you to the summit of Mt Rainier or just halfway up?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Rainier

There are no dumb questions!

Rainier stands 14, 411 ft above sea level and requires a climb to reach the summit.

Sunrise is the highest point you can reach by car at 6,400ft. (open in the summer months). Paradise, at 5,400 ft is open year round.

The Mount Rainier NPS website has plenty of information to help you plan your trip.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Rainier

Where is the best place to hike this month? I know there has been some snow so I am wondering where we should plan to hike- can we hike Mt. Rainier or not really this month due to the weather? If not what about some falls or something not too far in distance from Seattle. I would like a cabin type experience and lots of nature trails with a goal (hike to top of mtn or waterfall, etc) Ideas?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Rainier

I can suggest plenty of hikes, but there will be plenty of snow at higher elevations. Thursday the snow level is dropping to 3,000 feet. A lot of visitors get in real trouble out here thinking hiking in higher elevations like 4,000 feet is no problem.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Rainier

For hiking this month you'd be better off heading out to Olympic National Park.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Rainier

There are some really nice routes out of Longmire. No great vistas but The Mt. is probably clouded up this time of year anyway. The Wonderland Trail route over Rampart Ridge just touches 4,000' but I don't think gets too high to be a real snow problem and over the ridge passes down through some nice really deep old growth forest. The silence, especially on a drizzly foggy calm day can be deafening. It can be a mystical experience. This time of year though it can be difficult (or impossible) to get farther than Kautz Creek due to high water.

Another nice lower hike but might be too high (4,700') if snows have been that low lately would be to Comet Falls. Even if not doable Christine Falls at the head of that trail is at about 3,800'.

Another option might be to hike the Westside Rd. as far as you want. Probably closed to vehicles until May (and only goes so far anyway) but is pretty level at 2,500'.

All the best alpine meadows hikes have to wait for late-July or August. Then my #1 favortie is to Mildred Point above Van Trump Park (passing Comet Falls on the way). On a clear day the view of Rainier is fantastic from there with dozens of waterfalls visible on the cliff faces around the Kautz Glacier cirque.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Rainier

This just is not the time to hike Mt. Rainier. We are expecting another winter storm tonight. When it comes to mountains, Mother Nature rules.

7. Re: Mt Rainier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 08:16