We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

Holland USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

Hi folks,

I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay for one weekend night in July around/in Olympic National Park. (Yes, I know - we're not doing it justice, but it's part of a week long Seattle trip.) My daughter suggested Kalaloch Lodge because she likes that area when she goes out there but I haven't reserved anything yet. The whole Forks/Twilight thing holds no attraction, so that's not a factor at all. We would need something for 4 people. I'll admit my ignorance here by saying I don't yet have a handle on the layout of the Olympic Peninsula, but I'd say my preference would be for something on or close to the sea shore. It definitely does NOT have to be a trendy place.

Thanks,

Gregg

Seattle
Level Contributor
139 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

Kalaloch Lodge is in an amazingly beautiful location, but you would need to book it asap (it may already be sold out for that weekend). I also recommend Quinalt Lodge on Lake Quinalt. Even if you aren't a fan of Twilight, the La Push Ocean Park Resort is also on and near some beautiful beaches, and doesn't sell out quite as fast.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

If you want the Ocean Kalaloch is probably your best. I f you want the forest Lake Quinault is lovely. Either way you can drive south thru Olympia and Aberdeen and avoid dealing with ferries. Not as pretty as going north via ferry, but easier. Just get out of Seattle before 3pm if you are leaving on a Friday.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

JMO, but I think Kalaloch and the western coast is too far for just an overnight--it's a good 4 hour drive from Seattle. I'd stay somewhere in or around Port Angeles (2 hours), rather than spending so much of your limited time driving out that far. Lk Crescent Lodge would be a possibility, and you could explore the northern coast (e.g Salt Creek, Dungeness Spit). Save Kalaloch and the western beaches for when you have more time.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

I would recommend spending the night at La Push, that way you are AT the beach. Spend the rest of the time doing non-beachy things like Hurricane Ridge and the Hoh.

Hebben een fantastisch reis.

Dag,

chuckje

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

It's quite remote and a stretch for just one night (you should spend 2 nights anywhere on the peninsula), but the Makah Indians have a resort right on the beach - a big wide sandy beach with interesting tide pools:

http://www.hobuckbeachresort.com

You can visit Cape Flattery - northwesternmost point of the 48 states - for its tremendous view (offshore islands and rocks, sea caves under the cliffs, lighthouse, churning water on 3 sides of you) and the top notch Makah Museum.

We did the drive from that beach to Bellevue over the Kingston/Edmonds ferry in 5 hours. Kalaloch would be about the same - a 5 hour drive. In the summer, though, you can end up waiting for the ferries for 2-4 hours. You could get to Kalaloch around the south through Olympia/Aberdeen to avoid the ferries, but intermittent closures on I-5 are expected all summer between Tacoma and Olympia with miles long backups.

Holland USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately, I see on their web site that they are closed to the public during the weekend that we would be there, due to a tribal conference.

We have booked a night at Kalaloch. Yes, it's a lot of driving for one weekend, but our Seattle daughter really wanted to stay there, and she ensures us that "the journey is the cool part".

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Gregg

7. Re: One night stay in/around Olympic National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 06:35