We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

carrollton, ga
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

We are flying in to seattle and arrive at 2:30. I am planning on driving over to Port Angeles but can't decide which ferry to cross over on. The closest one to the airport seems to be the fauntleroy to southworth ferry but the one from Seattle (main) to bainbridge island is not much farther. Which one is really the best to take? Is There are ferries leaving at 4:00 and 4:40 from fauntleroy and at 4:40 from seattle (main). How far in advance do I need to be in line to get on the ferry? We are arriving on a Saturday in July. I am trying to figure out the logistics of how to get to Port Angeles as early as possible so we can rest as we will have been traveling for over 8 hours at that point not including the drive to the penninsula. Thanks in advance.

carrollton, ga
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

I was just reading some other advice on the forum and the suggestion was made to just drive through Tacoma to get from Seatac to Port Angeles. Would it be a shorter trip (time wise) to just drive around the sound instead of trying to take the ferries?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

You're arriving late enough in the day that the waits for the Bainbridge ferry from downtown (that's the one you want, not the Fauntleroy ferry) will have subsided, and since it's a Saturday you won't run into rush hour ferry traffic. If you were arriving a few hours earlier, I'd say definitely drive around, but arriving that late in the afternoon, taking a ferry will be a more pleasant way of starting your trip, with less driving. Arriving 30 minutes in advance of the 4:40 *should* be ok, but you might end up on the next one. But if you don't want to risk a possible wait, then drive around.

Snoqualmie...
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

NWwander is right -- While the drive through Tacoma and across the narrows bridge just might save you a bit of time, I would take the ferry, just for the scenery. You've got a beatiful view of downtown Seattle as you leave, and the ferry is a relaxing 35 minute trip. If your flight is on time and you can get your rental car paperwork taken care of and in your car by 3:30 you should have no problem being at the downtown ferry terminal on time for the 4:40 ferry.

A couple caveats to this --

1) This assumes you leave on or before June 19 -- the summer schedule takes effect on June 20.

2) This also assumes there is no football game or Baseball game starting or ending near that time. If that is the case, you may want to consider driving around or the Edmonds to Kingston Ferry,

Here are a couple sites to double check:

seattle.mariners.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp…

soundersfc.com/Matchday/Download-Schedule.as…

Have a great trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

I agree that Bainbridge is the one to take.

Taking the ferry vs driving is all about ambiance. Once you factor in the wait time for the ferry, etc, it doesn't really save any time and you have to factor in the cost of the ferry. The ferry is a beautiful way to see the city and is much more relaxing than driving.

carrollton, ga
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

Thanks for the advice. I would prefer the ferry for the very reasons you mentioned (more relaxing, scenery etc...) but I did not want to add too much time to our trip. When do the summer schedules come out? We will be arriving on July 24 so it will be during the summer schedule.

Thanks.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

The summer schedule will not change that much, the cost will go up. My four choices for commuting for instance never change.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

Take the Bainbridge ferry. The reasons to route around do not hold water for a visitor on their first trip. Even if there is a game, take the ferry.

The Fauntleroy is not an option and you should erase it off your list of possibles. It doesn't make sense to take that route. I'd say ditto to the Edmonds/Kingston, as the view from there isn't great and neither is the drive up.

Just go get in the Bainbridge line and follow instructions to get on the ferry they tell you to get on. You will most likely have a wait, but that means you don't have a big rush. If you have a wait in the parking lot, get out of your car and walk down the waterfront a bit. Just give yourself plenty of minutes to get back in your car on time.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

Actually if you are on i5 and you beat the rush hour around 4pm the Edmonds ferry makes more sense. Other then the view of Seattle(which is nice) the views are not that different. Bainbridge is the longest wait and busiest ferry in the state do to commuters. Edmonds to Kingston sets you up for being close to the Hood Canal Bridge and the Penninsula.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

Glacier--commuters, on a Saturday? That shouldn't be an issue.

No disrespect intended, but I never understand the advice to take the Edmonds ferry if someone's in or south of downtown. Why drive on I-5 through or north from Seattle if you don't have to? It's nearly *always* backed up, even in the middle of the day, heck, even late at night (I drive it several times a week from W Seattle since my BF lives in Lynnwood). I'd much rather do the driving out on the Kitsap peninsula than on I-5.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on ferry crossing to olympic penninsula

Hopefully some of you are still around and can answer my ferry question. I will be leaving from near U. of Washington/University District and was wondering if the Bainbridge Island ferry still makes sense? Google maps does not like that route! It takes me up to Edmonds. We will be leaving for OP on Friday but the day is open and we can leave earlier in the day if needed to miss traffic. Thanks!