We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newly Retired Girls Trip

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Newly Retired Girls Trip

We are planning our first trip to Seattle in mid-Sept. From what I've read, we'll need to rent a car. We'd like to see as much variety as possible without being totally exhausted. An overnight at Olympic NP? A ride into Vancouver? Whidbey Island? Shopping? I was thinking a day of site seeing in Seattle, and then off exploring the other three. Can you help with suggestions and a convenient location(s) of where to stay? Thanks!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

Congratulations. Sounds like fun. From your post, it sounds like you will have four days for fun? Can you provide a few more details, like your arrival and departure times and days? How many are traveling? What do you like to do or see? Type of hotel preferences? Amenities? What is your budget?

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

We have enjoyed two stays at the Fairmont Olympic in downtown Seattle and one at the Hotel Edgewater, both of these places are very nice. I would try to have a meal at The Pink Door in Post Alley, we dined there a couple of weeks ago, it was very good and the ambiance is cool and trendy. Go up to the Space Needle at night, it's very pretty. If you want to go on a sight seeing tour, Ride the Ducks is lots of fun.

We took the ferry over the Whidbey Island and spent the night at the Inn @ Langley. Langley is a very pretty, quaint town on Whidbey Island. I highly recommend taking the ferry over there, it's just a short 20 minute ferry ride and it's about 30 minutes from Seattle to get to the ferry dock.

I hope you have a great trip! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

The two of us will arrive the week of Sept. 20 for 4 full days of fun. We don't have a budget, yet are retired teachers and don't want to spend frivolously. From previous trips, we've found site-seeing tours give us the most info in a short amount of time than exploring on our own. We enjoy shopping & eating, but not a lot of physical activities. I've read about bike tours, which would be fun. We don't want to stay in a budget hotel, but yet we don't need top of the line either. Amenities aren't extremely important-we plan to be there only to sleep, but want something clean, safe, and comfortable. Thanks for your help!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

You have many wonderful choices, but don't try to do everything. Distances are great out here, and you could wind up spending all of your time in a car traveling through not very inspiring scenery.

I would skip ONP. Hurricane Ridge, which is the closest of the ONP attractions to Seattle is almost 4 hours from Seattle. This includes the long drive to the top. The Hoh Rain Forest is five hours from Seattle. Since you are not big hikers, these long trips are probably not worth it for an overnight, particularly since the drive out to ONP is not particularly scenic, and days start getting short here by mid-September.

Whidbey Island would be a great choice. Vancouver is an exciting city but requires more than an overnight. Don't forget you have a border crossing, so make sure you bring your passports and be prepared to wait at the border.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

Vancouver might be too much for a day, but I don't think Victoria is. You could take the early morning Victoria Clipper, spend 5-6 hours in the easily walkable downtown, possibly including afternoon tea at the Empress, then return to Seattle that same evening. Or, since you like them, take the pre-packaged day-trip: clippervacations.com/victoria/packages/victo… .

6. Re: Newly Retired Girls Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 07:33