We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

running out of time - please help!

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
running out of time - please help!

Usually I do a ton of research before I visit a destination but lots of other obligations are distracting me from the task. We have a day and a half to spend in Seattle late Sept. as we travel back to the East Coast after a few weeks in Hawaii. We could use some suggestions on how to spend our time. We would rent a car for a day trip if there is something really compelling within a reasonable drive. Haven't reserved our lodging yet either.

I did a quick look at the downtown itinerary and I'm not overly inspired. We're not big shoppers or foodies. We're more the outdoorsy type - natural beauty, light hiking, wildlife, etc.

Any suggestions?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: running out of time - please help!

"I did a quick look at the downtown itinerary and I'm not overly inspired." What does that mean, the itinerary, the downtown, what?

Some suggestions:

Options for self drive itineraries in the Seattle Region, with websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c112037/Seattl…

Ferry Routes and Schedules, WA State Ferries (Beautiful views, ride at least one, perhaps Bainbridge Island).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Pike Place Market (A confusing website, but it is definitely worth seeing this complex, multi-level and horizontal, Seattle icon.)

www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp…

Snoqualmie Falls, east of Seattle less than one hour.

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

Ballard/Chittenden Locks

www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm…

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is iconic of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: running out of time - please help!

I lived in West Hartford as a kid. Seattle is a lovely city in a beautiful setting. A ride on one of the ferries from DT is a great way of viewing Seattle. Since you live on the East Coast and enjoy the outdoors, I would consider renting a car and visiting Mt. Rainier Nat. Park if you get a reasonably clear day. Beautiful Park and can be lovely in Sept.. Get an early start and you will see things you won't on the other coast.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: running out of time - please help!

oh pooh, never mind. i read your post as having a *week* and a half, not a day and a half.

if your flight home isn't too early, consider spending the night near mt rainier.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 19:56
Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: running out of time - please help!

Thank you for all the great ideas and for taking the time to reply to my post. My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been soooooo distracted. Still don't have a hotel booked. I probably will have to resort to priceline.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: running out of time - please help!

People resort good results on Priceline/Hotwire for downtown Seattle because it's such a compact area, pretty much any hotel in the core will be a convenient location.

I like Mayflower Park and the Warwick if you decide not to bid.

-suze

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: running out of time - please help!

thank you. i will take a look at those.

Seattle
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: running out of time - please help!

If you aren't inspired by the city aspects of Seattle, looking into renting kayaks and taking them out on the sound or lakes. I'd recommend renting them out on Alki Beach if you want to do the Sound, or near the UW/Arboretum...I know there are places to rent in those areas. Also, there are great parks in Seattle. Check out Discovery Park. I know you said you are not into shopping, but if you are outdoorsy, the giant REI store might be worth checking out anyways. They have an indoor climbing area (looks like a big rock spire in an atrium area just inside the entrance - there is a small fee), and there is a mountain bike testing trail with dirt trails, built in roots, etc where you can take a bike for a spin.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: running out of time - please help!

Even though it's late September, you could end up with a gorgeous day. There are plenty of "outdoorsy" things to do within the city without renting a car. A ferry ride from Seattle to Bainbridge is a good option. From there you might be interested in in visiting the amazing Bloedel Reserve. Reservations are required, but worth the effort.

http://www.bloedelreserve.org/

Consider a kayak rental or tour with Aqua Verde Paddle Club. Terrific way to explore Seattle from the water, near the U of Washington. Or the University of Washington also rents canoes and rowboats very inexpensively to explore the Arboretum.

Or check out the Arboretum on foot.

Or Discovery Park.

Or explore the Olympic Sculpture Park, and continue along the water to Myrtle Edwards Park.

Or take the passenger ferry to Alki Beach where you can walk, rent bikes or kayaks to explore.

Most likely on any or your adventures, within the city, you will see sealife, seals, eagles and much more.

http://www.aguaverde.com/

http://depts.washington.edu/ima/IMA_wac.php

cityofseattle.net/Parks/…discovparkindex.htm

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/visit/osp/

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: running out of time - please help!

Hi,

I visited Seattle for the first time this April with my husband and 19 year old son and gained extra time there due to the ash cloud so were able to do masses of exploring. Whidbey Island was a wonderful place but it'll take you quite some time to get there and the wait for the ferry can be long. We loved the city and the view from the Columbia Tower was great (only open Mon to Fri though). In Pioneer Square the Gold Rush museum and Underground Tour were fascinating to us Brits. The ferry trip to Bainbridge Island offered excellent cityscape views but I found the island itself rather lacking as we were on foot. The highlight of our trip was the drive up to Hurricane Ridge and the views and snow drifts at the top but this was done from Whidbey Island via the ferry to Port Townsend and may not be possible in your timeframe. Regarding Seattle hotels we stayed in a lake view one bedroom suite at the Lake Union Marriott for a few days (book in advance for the best rates) which was very well connected by the street car to the heart of things. During our 'bonus' week at a much reduced rate to the Marriott we rented a one bed condo (google The Maple if you're interested )at very short notice on Capitol Hill and it was great to stay in a real neighbourhood, enjoy the culinary delights on Broadway, visit Volunteer Park with it's Asian Art Museum and wonderful glass house and adjacent excellent cafe and then hop on a bus and be in the centre of the city in 10 mins or so. And, the sun shone all the time we were there!!!

Hope you have a great time .

Wespent

10. Re: running out of time - please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 06:47