We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

London UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

Really need your help.

3 of us Brits arriving at SeaTac about 6pm on a Monday with moderate luggage (wheelie bags). See from TA travel guide that Link Rail will get us easily to Westlake station , but to get to hotel from there? Finding bus info very confusing. What route/number do we need/? How will we know to know when to get off. What fare - thought it was in free zone?

If Link/bus not easy what other reasonable option is there?

As we will stick out as tourists, is this area/connections safe at this time of evening (6-9 pm)?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

226 Aurora North is too far north for the free zone. I'm going to suggest that you forego the Link light rail and use Shuttle Express (www.shuttleexpress.com, 425-981-7000) from the airport to the motel. It's not the light rail ride that drives this decision, it is humping your baggage up to street level, walking to where a #5 bus will pick you up, and then (depending on how crowded the bus is) trying to find both a seat and a place to put your bags that won't discomfit other riders. It's about a one-minute ride from the Westlake Center end of the light rail line to the motel, and it will cost you $2.00 each for that minute unless you are a senior.

tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/serv.pl

Your motel is in an area full of motels and restaurants. No safety problems in that area of Aurora, although it gets pretty unsavory further north. If you take my advice, connections will not be a problem since Shuttle Express will take you right to the door and unload your baggage for you. Why not e-mail them for their rate for this trip?

Getting downtown or to Seattle Center will almost certainly require a cab or public transportation, but the folks at the motel are the best source for that kind of information.

Edited: 10 October 2010, 18:46
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

I have stayed at the HIX on Aurora many times. Bobmrg's advice is excellent. Save yourself a lot of trouble and take the Shuttle. However, I mildly disagree with his final comments about needing a cab to get downtown. The HIX is about 1 mile, or a 20 minute walk, to Pike's Place Market. It is about a 10 minute walk to Seattle Center, perhaps 15 minutes if you are a slow walker. It is about 15 minutes to the downtown. The walk is safe and easy, and it provides good exercise before and after a meal. It's a hoot to pass the brightly lit pink elephant car wash at night.

London UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

thanks for these replies - it's exactly why I love Trip Advisor so. - Real info from real locals.

Really looking forward to our trip - settled on Seattle 3 nights, Port Townsend 2 nights, Manzanita 2 nights, Newport 1 night Portland 1 night. Would have spent longer but can only get away for limited time but have learned enough we know will be wanting to come back again. Just keep that weather good for us!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

We stayed at that HI-Express for our son's wedding a few years ago. It is relatively close to downtown and especially Seattle Center but is right where Aurora Ave. goes down into the tunnel so is not easily crossed on foot without diverting either South or North adding a little distance. Aurora is very busy there and in some respects like an expressway without lights to cross safely at.

Taking the light rail downtown (with luggage) would be easy but from there a cab ride would be fairly short and easier to get to for someone experienced with the tricky location. About $5.00 or so for the fare (plus tip) so for three total would not be much different from bus.

The hotel was very nice - nicer than most HI-Express. We were afraid of noise in room facing Aurora but aside from sirens a couple time the general road noise was minimal. And the view of the Space Needle and Seattle Center was nice. We did however find that eating choices in the immediate vacinity (1-2 blocks) was limted but a little farther (10-15 min. walk) had lots of options. The provided breakfast at the hotel was pretty good with several hot options.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

Hey Guys,

I used to train at a gym at 8th and Thomas -- about two blocks from the HIX. The neighborhood is adequately safe. However there is definitely prostitution across Dexter north of Denny Park. I would exercise caution (though I don't think you have much risk) in the area at night.

To your question in my opinion the easiest option would be for the three of you to share a cab. This should cost about $45 for the three of you (plus tip, about 10%). STITA Cab estimates that for a 15 mile trip from SeaTac to downtown you will pay $40.00. http://www.stitataxi.com/?page=fares Google Maps puts the trip from SeaTac to 226 Aurora Ave North at 13.5 miles. It should take about 15 minutes to 20 minutes if you have light traffic. If you arrive at 6:00 it might take 30-40 minutes to clear passport control and customs. You should not have any problems with traffic. I recommend asking the cab to take 509 to 99. This way will have far less traffic than taking Rt. 5 and passing downtown on the viaduct offers beautiful views of the city and Puget Sound. You will essentially take a short tunnel under part of downtown and emerge virtually right at your hotel.

There are obviously some downsides to shuttles. Shuttles that have other passengers are not as fast as a cab because they make several stops. You may need advance reservations or risk delays getting on a shuttle. The Grayline downtown airporter stops only at specific major hotels downtown leaving you still in need of getting from the core of downtown Seattle to your hotel and costs $11 (or $18 roundtrip).

Shuttle express (shuttleexpress.com/seatac-airport/default) has a number of FAQs. You may have to wait a bit for shuttle to depart but they say 80% leave within 20 minutes. You can walk on but those with reservations get priority. I did a sample booking and it looks like the quoted price for three passengers is $41. It looks like it might be a little cheaper if there are more passengers. You should probably given them a call before booking.

Here is a list of the ground transport options from SeaTac Airport's website.

http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/ground/

Public transportation options will take about an hour to get to your hotel though the cost will be about $3.50/each.

You can take Link Light Rail to Westlake Center. From there a number of buses can be used to get to your hotel. I used to take the 26, 28, 358 or 17 to the gym. Anything basically that stops at Denny and Dexter or thereabouts will do. From there it is a very short walk to the hotel.

The light rail info is at www.soundtransit.org. King County Metro has a trip planner. It is easy to use. Go to www.metro.kingcounty.org.

Hope that helps

-K

London UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

Many many thanks for all the advice - we'll follow most of it. Have realistic expectations of hotel and location - we got a deal and we expect to be out and about most of the time.

Have booked shuttle and will see it as part of seeing scenic Seattle experience - we won't be in a rush to check in.

7. Re: Getting from SeaTac to Holiday Inn Express 226 Aurora ave N

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 05:16