We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in Seattle!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in Seattle!

Here we go again. It took us 3 hours to get home last night; normally it is 15 minutes. My workplace is closed today, along with many others, but DH is a Dr. and had to go in to the hospital. We chained up one car and off he went.

I'll stay here and keep the house warm and play with the dog. There will be no cars on our street today---we live on a hill so it's difficult. I expect the school children will be out later with their sleds. If there were a bit more snow I'd dig out my XC skis, but there's not enough for that.

Stay warm and be safe, everyone!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in Seattle!

From where we live in Renton, everywhere we go is downhill...and I have no desire to be stuck in the city center so I will be staying home for the immediate future. Listening on KOMO to folks calling in who had been on the road for five or six hours between Everett and Seattle or between Seattle and Tacoma was a real education. I'm just glad that I can do my thing at home.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in Seattle!

We were supposed to head up to Anchorage this afternoon for Thanksgiving with friends, but the combination of travel woes on this end, plus the same or worse up there (ice storm - everything closed today) made us think better of it. Fortunately we can re-program our airline tickets and use the value (less minor change fees) to go to Hawaii in January instead. (We'll see the Alaska friends here in a few weeks anyway for a "birthday-with-a-zero" party we're having for my DW.) So it's the local in-laws' house for turkey, assuming we can get to their house on Thursday.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in Seattle!

My son and his wife are supposed to drive over from Boise on Thursday, arriving in time for turkey dinner. But it sounds like the roads are bad everywhere. I think I will call them and see how they feel about re-scheduling.

It is so odd---I spent 20 years living in Alaska and other snowy climes, and never had trouble getting around. But here. . . ugh. We spent hours last night sitting in lines of cars that didn't move because someone up ahead spun out and went cross-ways. There were a few good guys on foot helting to push stuck cars out of the way. I wish I knew who they were to thank them!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,170 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in Seattle!

Seattle is just not set up for this kind of snow! I used to live in Vermont and nothing ever stopped us. Here things come grinding to a halt. I had to walk home from downtown last night because no busses or taxis were running. Wasn't too horrible and took a bit under 1 hr. so better than a lot of people were facing stuck in their cars. The main street heading up to Capitol Hill (I live at the top) were barracaded closed off to traffic. Be safe everyone -suze

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in Seattle!

I know I am in the minority, and maybe it's my Wisconsin upbringing, but I just love snow days, even in Seattle.

Everyone seems to always be amazed that the Seattle area doesn't handle the snow as well as other parts of the country, but it is the combination of our unique geography, hills, many bridges, mountain passes, as well as the infrequency of major freezes and snowfall that sets everything in motion. Not to mention the fact that this storm brought the earliest recorded snowfall.

Fortunately I too, am not in a critical industry and can work from home. My husband made it to work early this morning with no issues, the major arterials that he needs to travel on were well plowed and salted. We are used to driving on snow and ice, but it is the advance planning and prep that makes the difference for us. Knowing that this year was expected to be a doozy, as early as October we started preparing for this winter, prepping the cars, pulling out the chains, getting an extra snow shovel, stocking up on de-icer and sandbags, limbing up the trees, stacking firewood, etc. We even finally caved in and purchased a generator. Far too many people here seem to ignore warnings or use appropriate caution and common sense.

So, have patience with those workers in the public safety, maintenance and travel industry. Be cautious on those slippery streets and sidewalks. Bundle up, be well and travel safe.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,134 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in Seattle!

by thursday it will rain and 40 degrees will feel tropical.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in Seattle!

Rain by Thursday? Seriously? That would be great news as I wouldn't have to postpone our Thanksgiving dinner.

and IslandGirl, I feel as you do;I love snow and we were ready. The trouble is that Seattle can't handle it, particularly downtown and in the hilly neighborhoods. Some downtown intersections were so icy by six pm last night that cars couldn't stop, or if they could they couldn't get going again because they didn't 't know how to.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in Seattle!

It's true, rain for Thanksgiving. :-(

Back to the gloom...

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow in Seattle!

I used to wonder why Seattle got so crippled by a little snow - aside from the hills issue. Then came to MN where even here all the snow savvy drivers lose control in the first snow or ice of the year. Witness last Saturday night with 483 crashes just in Twin Cities after a little freezing rain.

Thing is by January the snow here is NOT slippery at all - way too cold for that. We can drive 70 Mph on ice and snow covered roads when it is -20°F. But every snow is the first of the season in Seattle so nobody gets used to it and on top of that it's always that wet sticky really slippery stuff because it never gets cold enough. This would make snows in Seattle worse than many other places even if Seattle had the equipment for it. The snow is just plain nastier.

This seems so typical - big snow before Thanksgiving (although usually higher up in Mts.) and then Pineapple Express rains that melt it all and the Snoqualmie River goes wandering all over. All my years in the Seattle area seemed to go this way.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow in Seattle!

its been a few years since i lived in the twin cities but sequim is correct, people always got caught by the first snow fall and drove like they were driving bumper cars but things went fine the rest of the winter. the twin cities never even started plowing until the snow stopped with the exception of arterials and the highway department which had plows going quickly. the thing i find ironic is studs and chains are illegal in minnesota. back then there were few 4X4's and most cars were rear wheel drive and we still got around just fine.