We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere to stay away from?

NWT
Level Contributor
498 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere to stay away from?

I don't mean to be controversial, and please don't take offence, however, I was wondering if there are any ares that it would be wise to steer clear of due to safety?

Obviously in a new city, you have to have your wits about you, and you shouldn't do anything that you wouldn't do in your own city, to make yourself a target... I know that being an obvious tourist isn't a good idea anywhere...Just wondering about specifics. Thanks :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

there aren't that many terrible areas but you might find homeless and aggressive panhandler anywhere. Gernerally I'd avoid Pioneer Square at nite and Pike st between 1st and 3rd after dark (across from the mkt) The main core of downtown is very nice and clean when compared with many american cities. I'm sure you'll be fine , just use your street smarts.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

I can't think of any area I would not be comfortable exploring in daytime. Far more "risk" from cars than muggers. Of course there are areas away from Downtown I would not walk around in between midnight and 3am or so (and even some isolated spots Downtown) but neighborhoods like that are in any city and usually pretty easy to identify just by looking around and the condition and nature of properties.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

A lot of the nastiness that makes the evening news occurs when the bars close in the wee hours. I would not be in the vicinity of any bars or nightclubs after midnight.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

It's true. There have been a number of shootings recently in Belltown, but at 2am or so and always with 'gang related' overtones. There are also some rough or bad neighborhoods but not in downtown and really nowhere a tourist would likely find themselves.

For a tourist visiting staying in a centrally located downtown Seattle hotel and getting around on foot and public transportation at reasonable hours of the day or evening, I do not think there is anything to be concerned about.

-suze

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

It is fully dark here now at 5pm, so by "at night" we don't mean "if it is dark".

Just be back in your hotel by 1am and your risk drops down pretty low. Not that it is a wild dangerous zone afterwards, but the bad stuff slightly more likely to happen.

There's no Tenderloin or Bed Stuy to worry about here.

NWT
Level Contributor
498 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

Thanks..I was wondering about the dark...

2 sleeps!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

There was a period of time over the past year or so where a few people got their expensive cell phones snatched out of their hands downtown but that seems to have subsided. All the other posts here have good points and I can echo their observations/suggestions.

I would add that wandering back to your hotel late if you have had a few drinks might better be approached by a short cab ride. Yes, we were having a number of problems (fights, assaults, and a few shootings) after bar closing and although things have improved you should be aware of that. Post closing, boozy crowds can be trouble here. Between about 1 AM and 5 AM I personally wouldn't be out wandering around. There are not a lot of quality attractions to do or see at that time and more sketchy people are out then for sure.

Seattle really does not have any completely no-go areas and is not openly dangerous, especially anywhere a tourist would normally go, but you do need to be aware and a bit sensible. In my neighborhood we get the occasional guy who gets out of a passing car who you obviously don't know, approaches you and then robs you. Not rampant but I wouldn't let a stranger getting out of a car late at night walk up to me. Contrary to what you may have seen or read in the media most people here support our first responders and we have a lot of good ones. And yes, jaywalking downtown is often ticketed so just cross at the lights like most of us do.

8. Re: Anywhere to stay away from?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 05:17