We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

We are planning a trip for next summer, flying into Vancouver. then Victoria, boat to Seattle and then would like to drive back to Vancouver to fly back to the UK.

I have read that a one-way rental is possible for this route (unlike many other cross border routes) because of the demand for one-way rentals between the two cities (cruise ship passengers etc.,) I have looked here, but my exact question isn't covered, as other cross border renters are planning to come back to Seattle. I can't see any info on this on any of the rental websites - have emailed and am waiting to hear, but would be grateful for any information on which companies in Seattle do this normally .

Edited: 13 December 2010, 01:39
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

Can't help you on the car rental info, but it is my feeling that the drive between Seattle and Vancouver just isn't worth the cost of a car rental. Unless you're going to do some branching off to Kitsap,Whidbey, Olympic Peninsula or towards Lynden and Mt. Baker...there just isn't that much to see along I-5. The train would be easier and just as scenic...and much less hassle than one-way cross border car rental.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

We occasionally fly out of Vancouver and have rented one-way cars from Seattle to Vancouver on numerous occasions. We also did a cruise from Vancouver last summer and rented one then, too.

It's done all the time - look at a price of roughly $120 per day. We usually use National Car Rental but have also used Budget and Hertz.

Make a booking early - the cruise people gobble up many cars for these trips.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

one way rentals will be expensive Some routes like San Diego to SF have high demand but when your dealing with cross border two country car rentals the demand isn't quite there. Since you can take Amtrak for $35 or so (train) which totally avoids any border delays it makes way more sense to train it vs dealing with a one way car rental. I know for examples that Canadians can't rent a car one way into Canada but doubt there would be any restrictions on UK citizens

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

Thank you for your prompt replies. If it was just for getting us back to the airport, I would choose train or air but my husband wants to visit somewhere on the way. I think I might have to phone to get an answer from one of the companies.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

if its really expensive compare with a drop in Bellingham. Train from there is $13. Train leaves from the Alaska Ferry Terminal if any rental car firm has a location there.

6. Re: One way car rental Seattle to Vancouver - summer 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 06:17